48 - Firebrand's Surprise

He takes us through to the hospital, the place whose very name mocks me. It's like the universe dumped a big "fuck you" on me. Story of my life.

Saint Vincent's is empty of people.

Not to mention, the lighting is all wrong. It's dark blue in here, and I'd freak the hell out if I wasn't holding Habit's hand.

Firebrand walks ahead of us, and then finally he starts talking.

"This place is different from how you remember it, isn't it, y/n?" he says.

"Yes."

"That's because we're on another plane of reality, this is where I'm a full-fledged member of the Collective. And, as such, I have different ... abilities."

I'm ready to ask him to get to the freaking point, but I know that it wouldn't work out in my favor. So I clamp my mouth shut and let him keep babbling as we head for the morgue.

"You see, each of the EMH guys live in different Iterations, and it works kinda like the level of a video game, where if you die, you essentially "respawn" in another plane of existence."

"Yeah, I know that," I say.

"Well, let's just say I have a bit of a surprise for you."

I look up at Habit, and he just shrugs nonchalantly. I wonder if he knows where this is going, or if it's going to be a surprise for him as well.

Firebrand continues walking down the long hallway, and we follow not far behind. He stops once we reach the morgue. I don't want to go in there. I can't see Vinny like that again. I can't put myself through that again.

"I'm not going in there," I mutter.

"But you'll miss the surprise," he says as though that's supposed to make me want to see my dead friend.

"Look, y/n, just trust me on this. You'll want to see this."

"Yeah, what's behind door number two?" Habit asks with a small laugh.

But I am not laughing.

Tears stream down my face and I back away, getting ready to sprint in the opposite direction. But Habit comes to me and takes my face in his hands.

"Look at me," he says softly. "Hey, look at me."

Finally, I do.

"I'm right here. But I ... I need to see Vinny's body for myself, okay? That way I can gut whoever did this to him."

"It was a stroke."

"Caused by something else," Firebrand says.

"Please, y/ n. Be strong. For us."

I nod finally and he holds my hand tight  -  to reassure himself or me, I don't know. Firebrand opens the door and lets us in. Then he guides us to the back room where the bodies are kept.

But when he opens the door ...

_____________________
A/N: LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR. LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR. LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR. LET THE BODIES HIT THE .... FLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR.

Sorry that song is stuck in my head.

Anyway, I'm sure y'all hate me for Vinny and everything but I have a plan so don't worry. And also don't worry about the fact that there's gonna be a ... more descriptive lemon chapter in the future. After reading the A Court of Thorns and Roses series, I think I can manage.

And if anybody wants to tell me why Vinny (the real one) keeps getting random ass cuts, then PLEASE do so. I also loved how he ran between Jeff and Evan/Habit and was like "excuse me"  -  that's me avoiding my life problems for sure.

Oh, and just so you know, I DID cry when Vinny died. In the story I mean.

I'm gonna go now, see you in the next upload!

Xoxoxoxo ...