2 - Habit's Plans

The blade comes down on the bindings holding me in place.

I can't help but flinch at the impact.

He walks over and cuts the binds on my legs. I look up at him, confused as hell as he smirks. Vinny, too, looks shocked. But I don't look at him  -  not when I came so close to death and he did nothing. I swallow the lump in my throat and then speak.

"Wha  -  why?" My voice is a squeak. I feel pathetic.

"Um, I think the words you're looking for are: Thank you for not murdering me, Habit. And I'd say you're welcome," he says in my ear. Then he kisses my cheek.

I try my best to not feel the emotions that come with being freaking kissed by a demon. I mean, what feelings are there, aside from fear? I doubt I could Google that question. Not many people get kissed by demons, I bet.

"Thank you for not killing me," I mumble.

"Much better," he says, then chuckles. "But I have a game for you, my little Rabbit. Ask me what it is. Say, "Habit, what kind of game is it?" And I will tell you the answer."

"H - Habit, what kind of game is it?"

"Excellent question. I'm glad you asked, y/ n.  This is a game where you don't die and you get to spend some quality time with me and Vin here."

"Why me?" I regret the question as soon as it leaves my lips.

"Why you? Why you, why me, why him? Why not you? I mean, come on, y/ n, you're the perfect candidate for this. All of Vinnie's friends are dead or something, so I brought you to him so that now we have a trio again."

I look over at Vinnie, but he doesn't meet my gaze. He looks away from my gaze. Habit sighs and shakes his head like a disapproving parent. He bites his lip and takes off his fedora. I don't move, and neither does Vinnie. He just looks so disappointed by something that it sorta humanizes him.

"You two need to get closer, because I can't stand how bitter cold it is in here. So, you two are staying here for the night, and I will get both of you in the morning for some food. Deal?"

Then he walks out, locking the door behind him.

Leaving me and Vinnie alone.

Together.

"I'm sorry," he mutters after a few minutes. "You're right. I'm not strong, not anymore. Maybe I never was. I can't amend the wrongs I've done."

I don't say anything. What am I supposed to say to that? So I just shrug and look away.

Things are awkward as hell.

What do I do?