Prologue - Meeting Habit

I sit by the laptop, barely paying attention to anything. I'm bored senseless and wishing I could get back at Minnie, the asshole who's been bullying me. It angers me that she can get away with it and not get into any trouble.

I scoot closer to my laptop as a pop-up alert tells me that for the first time in how long EverymanHYBRID has uploaded. "HI" is the name of the video. I smile, ready to see some good old-fashioned Slenderverse stories.

Habit is sitting before the camera and he has a smile on his face. I've come to know that that's not always a good thing. He sits back after a moment and that's when things get really creepy.

"Hello, (y/n). I'm glad you could join the show. My name is Habit, and I have decided that you are my next experiment."

Dread fills my stomach and I feel ice in my veins. What the hell is this? Is he just going to break character and admit this is a joke my friends are pulling on me? Or is this something more ... ?

"This isn't some prank, little Rabbit," he says with a laugh. "This is real. Very, very real." His voice deepens as he speaks. "Little Rabbits feed our Habits ..."

"... we are millions, fierce and strong," I find myself whispering.

"That's a good girl," he says, as if he can hear me.

Wait ... didn't he confirm this wasn't a prank right after I thought that?! What the hell?

"Come meet me in the clearing by your house tonight. Be there at midnight, (y/ n). Or else." He cackles and the video ends.

The comments section is blowing up. People are telling me to go, to move away, or to just run. But I'm not a coward. I lean down and type my own message into the list.

If you want me, Habit, then you've got me. I'm coming.

Instantly, people are apprehensive about it. I don't blame them. I could very well be heading to my death. But I don't care at this point. Well, I don't want to die, but I'm still really excited about whatever this is.

I've always liked Habit, and now, I'll get to meet him.

Maybe right before I die.

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

I'd be stupid if I hadn't grabbed a carving knife with me. I head out into the open forest and head towards the clearing. Of course I have my purse with my chargers for my phone and laptop that I brought with me. I also have the carving knife.

I flick the flashlight I'm carrying and check my watch  -  I have ten minutes until midnight. I laugh as I realize that sounds like a band name, and then I hear him laughing. My heart leaps and I turn around and see Habit.

"What the fuck?" I exclaim in shock.

"Well, I usually go by Habit," he says.

A camera, not a machete or knife, is pointed at me. He looks at the starry sky and smiles a little wistfully. I try not to freak out and run away. But a part of me is so star-struck, and I don't want to leave.

"Why did you call me here? How do you even know I exist?" I ask, my voice a whisper instead of a demand.

"Well, I wanted to meet you, my little Rabbit," he replies. "And I know you comment and like every video, so I wanted to meet you."

"What are you going to do to me?"

"Oh, that's where the fun begins."