Chapter 28

Lane was tired.

It was more than a physical tired, this kind of exhaustion was bone deep. She was mentally drained, and she felt as if she couldn’t take any more challenges without breaking down.

Even as she stood in front of a room of Demons and Angels, she could feel exhaustion gripping her in its clutches. She felt as if she hadn’t slept in weeks, and she fought against her slowly closing eyes. Though she needed sleep, Lane didn’t want to succumb to the darkness. She was afraid to dream, that the nightmares would once again appear, even though the cause of her nightmares was standing right beside her, with an incredulous expression on his face.

Though Lane knew this was how her other half would react, she was still frustrated. She expected someone to agree with her, to say that saving her brother was something that needed to be done even if it wasn’t a good idea. But even Remiel looked taken aback, as if he wanted to argue.

The Demon of Wrath was paying her no mind; instead he was now eating a bag of chips that he had found in a cupboard. He was watching with feigned interest, as if this wasn’t news to him.

Which, of course, it wasn’t.

Wrath was one of the few demons who had taken her under his wing, literally. While Lucifer had been attacking her, Wrath had interfered on numerous occasions to shield her from the other higher Demon’s blows. He had even taught her how to fight as a demon, and to defend herself from numerous different types of attacks.

Between Wrath and Luke, they had kept her alive in the Underworld while she had been learning her new strengths while fighting internally with her Demon. Without them, there would be nothing left of Laneene but an empty shell, she would be completely possessed by Pain, a Demon hell-bent on destroying the world.

Lane knew that Wrath was here now to help her take control from Pain, which could only happen when she was on Earth and next to her Mate. The process of taking control of her Demon was dangerous, and without her Mate, there was a very small chance of Lane surviving. Nybbas would be her tie to the present while she was going through her memories, reliving them. Without him, she wouldn’t have been able to come back; she would have been stuck in her past, reliving her memories.

For now, you have control. But you do have a weakness, and because of that you’ll be in constant danger. Without me, you’ll lose those you love.

The internal monologue was her Demon, who was able to talk to her. The Demon of Pain could hear Lane’s thoughts, and feel her emotions. The purpose of this was to make sure that Demons were able to take complete control of the body, and mind.

The only reason Pain wasn’t able to take complete control of Lane was because it had been locked up for all those years, forced into darkness with no sort of escape. Pain’s powers had been stripped from her, and they were stored inside of an impenetrable box, unable to be touched until she was let out of her prison. It had taken ten years in Hell to gain even a fraction of those powers back, and now that Lane had her humanity back, there was no way for the demon to control her.

“Do you understand the danger you would be in? The catacombs hold the most dangerous beings, those who have been imprisoned and are to never be let out.” Death spoke, though his words held no emotion

His eyes held a newfound curiosity as he looked at her, though. Lane knew there was more to the Angel of Death than he let on. As far as Lane knew, Death was the oldest Angel in existence. He grew bored with life and after a time he decided to go to Earth, where he stayed and collected the souls of the dead for millennia until he met Life, his Chosen, who brought joy and excitement back into his life full of darkness. Lane knew they went through many obstacles in their time together, and there were still Demons and Angels who wanted to see them separated, even dead, but they still stayed together.