Chapter 10

Lane wasn’t afraid, but something about this new man was making her nervous. He was tall, but so was Nick. The new man had green eyes, which looked like the color of grass, and they were hypnotic. He was muscular, and everything about him screamed masculine. He had tan skin, but it was sun-tanned unlike Nick’s who was an olive tan from his ancestors who were probably Egyptian. The new man also had an air of danger around him, as if he could kill someone without thinking about it. It was discomforting, and Lane knew she needed to keep her guard up around him. He was handsome though, and he couldn’t seem to keep his eyes off of her.

Luke took her hand, enveloping her own in his huge, calloused hands. His hands were hot, but that could also be because Demons were always warm, their temperatures were always over 100, if it went below that than something was wrong. Angels on the other hand, were always cold, they were always drastically under the normal body temperature of a human. Neither Angels or Demons felt hot or cold, Demons could play in fire and never burnt. Angels could swim in the water of the Arctic and never feel a difference, their bodies didn’t feel cold and they didn’t freeze of burn. It was something they had to be careful about; they tended to stay away from cold weather and fires. Though it helped them stay strong. Angels loved snow, it gave them Power. Demons loved fire and heat; it was what gave them Power.

“I’m Luke, Nick’s friend. It’s a pleasure to meet you, though I must say, you don’t look like a Demon.” His voice was deep, and it swept over her like the wind. Or maybe it was the wind? Lane shook her head and focused on the Demon she was shaking hands with. It was hard to keep her mind one thing at the moment, she wasn’t able to focus.

“I’m not a Demon, I am-or was- an Angel.” Lane let go of Luke’s hand and stepped back hoping distance would help clear her mind. Instead, she walked right into Nick, who wrapped his arms around her. She didn’t fight him, or step away, though she knew she should. Both of them were showing weakness, and that was something Demon’s took very seriously. She didn’t want to move though, so she didn’t. It was the Fallen blood that was making her feel like this, as soon as it was out of her system, she would be fine.

“An Angel? The only Angel I’ve heard of with the name Lane was Laneene the Little Sister to Remiel the Archangel.” Luke’s voice was light, he was curious. What did he want with her? Would he be fine if he found out? Or would he freak out like Nick had?

“Yeah, I’m Laneene and my brother is Remiel. Unfortunately I’ve become a Fallen now, and I have Rhena’s blood in my system, that’s why Nick is keeping me on lockdown, also because he’s afraid of my Big Brother’s wrath.” Lane smirked and looked behind her to Nick, who was frowning. The other demon, Luke, started laughing showing off a set of wickedly sharp teeth. Demons were the first to be considered vampires because they weren’t able to control their fangs, they were always there. Humans didn’t know how to handle them, so they came up with a myth to explain them logically.

There was something Lane hadn’t told anyone before, her family didn’t even know. Lane was a Fallen Angel, but she was a Nocturnal Fallen, meaning she was a night hunter. She could drink other Fallen’s blood to take their powers; it was like alcohol to her. Human blood was her nutrients though; it was what kept her strong and healthy. Nocturnal Fallen were notoriously vicious killer, most of them killed for fun. It was only Angels who could be Nocturnal Fallen, and they normally preyed upon Demons.

 “Well, Nick, I think we should let the Angel finish cooking while you show me where I will be staying.” Luke turned from her to look at Nick. Lane braced herself, than looked to Nick, who was staring at her. His eyes had become black and he was radiating heat, making it feel like a sauna in the room. It was uncomfortable for Lane, she preferred being cold. Nick’s body was tense; it took him a moment to answer Luke. He didn’t look away from Lane though. “Fine. Let’s go.” He turned around abruptly and walked out of the room, Luke followed, leaving Lane standing there, hurt. She knew in that moment, she would not be able to stay with the demon for a month. She needed to leave, before it was too late.

                Nybbas

“You haven’t told her yet who you are?” Luke sounded amused, which just annoyed Nick even more.

“No,” He snapped, “Telling her will only scare her off. Right now, losing the Little Sister of Remiel is not a bright idea. He is the oldest and strongest of the Archangels and personally I don’t think I want to upset him.” Nick wasn’t really afraid of Remiel; he was just as old as the Archangel. What he was afraid of was Laneene’s response to him, she would be terrified of him, and she would do everything in her power to get away from him. She would want nothing to do with him. He knew this for a fact, and for some unknown reason that bothered him more than he liked to admit.

Luke smirked, “She’s very attentive Nick, you know she will catch on at one point right?”

Nick frowned, he should probably tell her before she found out herself. She would hate him, she would be terrified and she wouldn’t let him explain. Laneene had a specific reason to hate him, because for her whole life Nybbas had caused her to have nightmares. Not just any nightmares, violent nightmares that involved her brothers. He made sure she felt their pain and fear, and that when she would be tortured in her dreams she would feel everything. It was sick, and it was something he had usually reserved for specific cases. She would dream of her older brothers’ tortures of her own, every single night. She never got a reprieve and nothing was able to stop it.

“She would never stay if she knew the truth. There is no way she could guess who I am, she is only worried right now about the Fallen blood in her system. She has a little over a week left, and she has been tense and antsy. Something big is going to happen, I just can’t figure out what she’s planning.”

Luke shrugged and threw his gym bag on the bed, it landed with a loud thud and made Nick frown. The loud sound probably shocked Lane, and she would be making her way up here to see what had happened. After just a few weeks, that was something that Nick knew. He had come to know Lane in a way he had never even tried to know any other person, let alone woman.  That wasn’t something he was willing to think about right now.

“You can’t think for her mate, she’s a woman not a dog. Take advice from me, and I’ve known more woman than you.” Luke smirked and his eyes got this far away look in them, “She’s going to surprise you Nick. You have to trust her, there’s something about that Angel that triggers the good in you. The part that you need to become the being that you’ve always wanted to be. I don’t really understand why, but I respect that and I respect her for it.”