Chapter 19

Nick

She was gone. Once again, his Chosen was gone.

He had no idea where she went, nor did he know what the bright light had been.

He had felt her, he had seen her reaction when she felt their connection. She had stared at him in awe and confusion, her eyes which had always been a warm, dark brown were now golden and surrounded by a ring of the the darkest black. Her hair was the same honey blonde, but it had a streak of black in it that added to her allure.

Instead of her normal, mundane clothing which kept her inconspicuous, Lane had worn a leather outfit consisting of a corset and leather pants with a pair of black boots. She had been covered in a black cloak.

It was his Laneene, but at the same time, he hadn't even known who she was.

Lane had changed so drastically, he could actually feel the darkness emanating from her body. She wasn't an angel any longer. No, she was now a demon. a very strong demon.

Nick turned to look at Remiel, who was staring at the place Lane had vanished. His sapphire blue eyes were shining with unshed tears. He looked defeated.

"She's a demon now, Nybbas. I had hoped.. that maybe I had been wrong. Maybe she was just being kept captive and was still the same, innocent Little Sister I had been protecting for decades." Nick was shocked to see the despair in Remiel's eyes when he looked at him. This Archangel was devastated, he looked as if he had lost his sister.

"She's not dead, Remiel. She's still alive. We can bring her back." Nick growled, not willing to give up on his Chosen yet.

He knew, somehow, that Lane was still there. She was being controlled by her darker emotions, but Nick knew there was no way that such a pure soul could have turned into such a vile monster.

Nick knew what it meant to be a demon, he had been one for thousands of years, and the evil that it took to be a demon was something that he knew the Little Sister Laneene was incapable of.

"She's a demon, and that's dead enough for me." Remiel said, his voice monotone.

Nick felt anger slam into his body and a sharp pain in the tips of his fingers caused him to look down in shock, surprising himself when he saw claws replacing his fingers.

He growled loudly at Remiel once more, his eyes focusing on the man who was born to kill Demons.

An Archangel was the leaders of the Angels, they were the right hand of their Father, and it was their job to protect the humans and to keep the world in order. Demons threatened the safety of the human world, so the Archangels, and the lower Angels, were continuously sent down to attack and kill any and all demons they found.

Nick could understand that to Remiel, Laneene being a demon meant that she was as good as dead, but it didn’t make his anger any less.

“You’re talking about your Little Sister, Remiel. She is my Chosen and I will not like you speak of her like that.”

Remiel’s eyes hardened, revealing his own anger which seemed to rival even Nick’s.

“Why do you keep acting as if I don’t care? She may be your Chosen, but she is my Little Sister. She is the most important thing in the world to me, the one being whom I was supposed to protect with my life and I failed." Remiel yelled at Nick, and the demon watched in shock as the Archangel's white wings opened with a snap, revealing the sheer size of them.

"I am Remiel the Archangel, and it is my duty to eliminate Laneene the Little Sister, who has become a Demon, one of Lucifer's own." The angel's eyes flashed pure white, which happened when the words of an Angel became a promise, a vow that could not be broken.