Chapter 14

Nick's heart stopped, he couldn't breathe.

Laneene didn't survive her shifting.

The words ricocheted through his skull, yet he couldn't comprehend them. They couldn't be right, Lane couldn't be dead. She was an Angel, she was strong and brave. She was so smart, there was absolutely no way that she didn't surivive her shifting.

Nick felt it then, he felt his wolf beginning to take control. It was dangerous, Nick was uncontrollable when his wolf took control.

His wolf was nothing like a werewolf, it was nothing like a those movie werewolves that could be tamed. It was a beast, an instinct driven beast.

And it wanted control, it wanted to find her. It wanted its Mate.

Nick didn't correct it, he knew his wolf knew best. Somehow, some way, Laneene was his Mate.

He would find her, and he would claim her.

His Mate was alive, and not even her Father could stop him from finding her and keeping her with him.

He didn't care about his Judgement Day, he would go wherever Laneene went, whether Heaven or Hell.

"Tell me, what exactly was said?" NIck growled out, his eyes narrowing on the Angel that had so easily given up hope on his Little Sister.

Remiel frowned, as if he couldn't understand what Nick was asking. His ice blue eyes were glassy, and not staring at anything in particular. His hair seemed to have lost it's shimmer, and even his wings were drooped.

"There is no need to continue searching for her, your sister didn't make it through the shifting." The Archangel's voice was monotone, and it sent chills down Nick's back.

"That's what was said? Did he specifically say that she died?" Nick was reaching, and he knew it. But he wasn't willing to give up, to believe she was gone. He just couldn't.

The Angel's eyes widened, and he looked down at Nick, "No, but he said she didn't make it through the shifting."

Nick thought for a moment, then he rememered the myth he had heard a few times when visiting the catacombs in Hell. 

The catacombs were a place where the oldest demons ,who werent abny use to the Prince of the King of hell, were sent to be kept pretty much as prisoners. It was a disgusting place, full of deadly and dangerous beings that would try and kill each other at any point in time.

They would tell stories for food, they would give information for water. It worked well for those beings, like Nybbas, who used them to his advantage.

One story in particular has caught his attention, and maybe it wasn't just a story. Maybe there was some truth behind it.

"Have you ever heard of the Change?" Nick began, watching Remiel for some sort of reaction.

"That's just a myth made by the loved ones of those lost during a Shifting." Remiel snapped, his eyes becoming darking with his anger.

"What if it's not?" As he watched Remiel's face darken, Nick continued. "Just hear me out, the Change is not something commonly heard of, but Lane wasn't a normal Fallen either. She was a Little Sister, a Fallen, a Nocturnal Fallen, and she had a conscious through the whole time. Lane was one of a kind, and there was no way a woman as strong as Lane could have not made it through her shifting."

Remiel stood up, his wings were now high and they were beginning to become bright once again, his eyes were becoming the dark blue they began at. "What are you saying Demon, you think she's still alive? That my Father lied to me?"

"I wouldn't say he lied to you, because to him, maybe she is gone. What i'm saying is Lane is alive." 

"But how exactly does the Change work?" Remiel was interested now, very focused.

"A demon will take in a Fallen that is going through the Shift, and while they are going through the most dangerous point in the shift, the Demon feeds the Fallen their blood, and the blood of a freshly dead human."

Remiel's face showed complete disgust, and Nick didn't blame him. Unlike Nybbas, Remiel wasn't used to the tranfering of blood and the killing of humans.

"What would become of the Fallen?" Remiel's said after a moment, his voice was low . He must have some hint of what Nick was going to say, and even so, Nick didn't want to say it at all.

"The Fallen will become a Demon, and join the Army of the Dead."

Once again, sorry it's so short! I don't want to give too much in one chapter, but the one after this will have much more! Do you miss Lane yet? What do you think happens? Is she a Demon? Is she dead? I guess we'll seee... Vote and Comment :)