Chapter 9

The next week was torture for both Lane and Nick. Nick wanted to touch her, to kiss her, to do something more then look at her, which was what he wanted more than anything. He couldn’t though, and he knew that. Her brother would kill him, painfully. Little Sisters never got to do anything fun, he had once been told by a mischievous Little Sister. She had pouted, than she had looked behind him, growled, and then vanished. Lane wasn’t like that, she never would be. She was quiet, shy, and full of sadness and anger. She wouldn’t speak to him, when she had tried to leave; he had stood in front of the door and refused to let her go. He hadn’t let her leave the house since. He was protecting her, not caging her in as she had screamed at him. A couple of times, he had seen her talking to the shadows on the wall, but when he walked in, she had stopped talking and went back to doing what she had been doing previously. She didn’t cook for him anymore, she wouldn’t eat. She wouldn’t drink anything; she just kept telling him that she hoped he choked on his own ego. She didn’t realize he was protecting her; there were demons out there that would kill her, without a thought.

“I hope you know when I get out of here, I’m going to tell Remiel everything, and I hope he kills you. I hope it’s painful for you too.” Lane said, and Nick looked at her, shocked. She had never said anything so...violent before. Why couldn’t she understand he was only trying to save her, not hurt her or take away her independence?

“Now that’s not very nice Angel.” Nick knew teasing her like this was wrong; it was not something he should be doing. She would most likely do just as she said if he did. Well, too bad, Nick wasn’t going to let a childish woman threaten him.

“I’m making dinner; I’m not going to make myself weak because you think you can protect me from the world. So, what would you like? I’m thinking chili myself, or maybe some chicken noodle soup? We’ll see, so are you going to tell me why you are acting like such a jerk? Why are you pretending like you feel things for me when you can’t.”

Nick loved her voice; it was mesmerizing, even when she was questioning him. She was standing the doorway, in a pair of hip hugging jeans, and a tank top, and her honey blonde hair was hanging loose over her shoulder, and her dark brown eyes with glittering with barely contained anger. She looked like a human, but Nick knew better than to think her weak.

“Honestly Angel, i don’t know why i feel the way I do about you. I know your Big Brother would kill me if he ever finds out I even looked at you the wrong way.  All I know is that I want you more than I have ever wanted another person, and that is dangerous. I could kill you, and I know a few people who would love that, and also a few who would...not like that so much.”

Lane frowned, that was honestly not what she wanted to hear. “I don’t see what’s so special with me.”

Nick shook his head, “Neither do it, and it is frustrating. I’ve never felt this way for another Fallen, much less an angel.”

Lane felt her anger shoot through the roof, there was no way she could calm down now. He had just said she was not worth it; she was not a good enough woman for him, because she was a Fallen angel. “Sorry I’m not a demon; sorry I’m not your mate. I can never be what a Demon is, I was born an angel, and my Chosen will be an angel as well. Those are the rules and that is how it has been happening since before this world was created.”

She noticed Nick was looking down at the floor, and it made her even more upset. Why wouldn’t he look her in the eye now? Was she repulsive to him? Why couldn’t he just leave it, and let them stay friends? He seemed to want more, and she couldn’t do that. She would easily fall in love with him, and if he found his Mate and he left her it would hurt her more than she wanted to think about.

 “I am a Demon, we both know this. But you can’t tell me you didn’t feel anything when we touch.”

Nick’s voice was like silk, brushing against Lane’s skin softly and making her shiver. She had felt something, but she had become good at lying, but for some reason she didn’t want to lie to this demon. “I felt something; it was like a shock that traveled through my body, which became heat. It was strange, but it felt good. This doesn’t change things though; i can’t do that again.”

The Fallen and the ForgottenOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara