Chapter 4

Laneene

 Lane opened her eyes, a burning sensation in her arm. “What are you doing?" her voice was sharp as nails. There was a man standing over her, cutting into her arm. The man was wearing a light blue doctor uniform and it all brought back bad memories. She screamed, and fought against the restraints tying her against the bed. She felt adrenaline rushing through her system, fighting with all she had. "NO!" she screamed, her head thrashing around on the pillow.

She heard yelling and the doctor put the knife down, than he grabbed her arms and tried to hold her down until the others arrived.

 "Don't touch me," she screamed, "Let go of me!" There was a lot of yelling and people talking, than people were grabbing her. Lane felt a sharp burning in her arm and she shrieked, than she felt her body freeze and her eye sight became black.

 "You drugged me, how could you. He'll be able to find me now. He’ll kill me, he’ll kill me!”

Nybbas

 Nick frowned, feeling a sense of anger and a deep need to protect and possess. He could feel it, she was near. She? How did he know a woman was in danger, and why did he feel such a strong urge to protect her? Nick clenched his fist as a wave of anger hit him, than he transported to her, the woman. As he looked down at her he realized he knew her. He cursed, than looked around the room at all the nurses who were looking at the unconscious doctor lying on the floor with horror. Nick shook his head, than looked down to Lane. "What did you do this time, angel?"

  As Nick spoke, she saw the Fallen Angel's eyes flutter open, "Didn't mean to. Hurt him. Kill me. Can't-fight-it." She said between labored breaths before the end where she was moaning in agony.

  "Stop moving," Nick said as he grabbed her arm. The mark was now blackening, but the edges looked to be healed. The venom was now in her system, and it would be take a month before it would kill her or leave her system. He had seen the venom enter a demon's blood before. It had driven the man crazy, until he had killed his Chosen and then himself, but only after chewing his arm to the bone.

He had eaten his Chosen, bones and all. It had been a gruesome scene, and Nick felt a pang in his chest as he realized that could happen to this beautiful angel with eyes full of sadness.

 Nick frowned, than he moved her hair out of her face so he could see her eyes. They were wide open, but unseeing. Nick froze, fear making his heart stop. Was she dead? Nick grabbed he wrist and pressed his two fingers against it, looking for her pulse. It was there, but only barely. He felt the tension in his shoulders lessen, and he let out a breath he hadn't known he was holding. She was unconscious, but her body was paralyzed while it fought against the venom, trying to kill it, destroy it. He knew he had to get the angel somewhere safe, but where? Fallen would be looking for her now, she was strong though. If she was kept safe and fed, she might be able to fight the venom. The hospital was the perfect place to keep her for the blood and medical attention. But safety? He didn't know if any of these people were trustworthy enough to protect her, much less strong enough. They were Liken, half human and half demon. They could just as easily turn him in, rather than help him. Nick sighed; there was only one safe place to take her. Nick picked her up; she was light, even for a Fallen. She moaned in pain when he touched her and he saw a tear slide down her cheek. He clenched his teeth and transported them to the only place safe enough for this woman, the Angel.

Laneene                                                              

Lane opened her eyes slowly, and prepared for pain. She winced; it was still there, but not as bad as it had been before. Where was she, how long had she slept? Was she still in the hospital? Had she killed that doctor? She hadn't meant to hit him, but they wouldn't listen and the doctor tried to stab another needle into her arm. Lane sighed as tears filled her eyes, she was just like those horrible creatures that killed for fun, which took the life of innocents and took pleasure out of their screams. She took a shaky breath, fighting the tears back. No, she may be like them but she was NOT one of them. I will fight this, I won't kill another innocent. No matter what it takes, I will not let the blood take over and make me someone I know that I am not.

 With that resolve, she looked around. Where was she? She was laying on a large bed which was covered in a black bed set. The room was covered in darkness, but she could see everything. There were two doors, one out of the room and one to a bathroom most likely. There was a chair beside the bed, also a night stand, which was covered in bandages and peroxide and alcohol. There was also lavender, which smelled good, but not as good as it normally did to her. On the far side of the room there was a large couch, which had a man lying in it. Lane tensed, prepared to fight, but he didn’t move. She jumped when he let out a loud, obnoxious sound. What was that? Had he just snored? She had never heard that sound.

 Lane slowly crept out of bed and walked over to the couch, which was leather, and black. The man was wearing worn jeans, a dark colored t-shirt, with no shoes. His one arm was over his face so she couldn't see his face. But she could see his neck, and there was a dark intricate design on his neck. It looked beautiful, but it was evil, because only Fallen Demons wore those tattoos. And only the ones who were proud of it had them put on their neck. She clenched her teeth; she was in the house of a Fallen Demon, one who felt safe enough to sleep in her presence. She should be angry, but she wasn't, instead something was compelling her to move his arm so she could see his face. Why did she want to see his face? Why did she want to lie on the couch next to him and have him hold her? What was wrong with her? It had to be the human part of her, finally showing.  The fear she felt at the hospital must have unlocked the feelings. That was it, had to be. But it wouldn't hurt to just move his arm and look at his face before she left, would it?

   She touched his arm lightly, but before she could move, she was under him, with his hand on her throat. "Who are you- Lane?” Nick sounded incredulous, like he didn’t believe what he was seeing.

She nodded, looking at his eyes. Which were now becoming light blue, like the ocean color? He quickly moved his hand from her throat and she didn't move or speak, she just looked at him. He looked magnificent, his olive skin was flawless and his hair was in her face, which since he was so close, was touching her face. It was soft, and smelled good. He smelled good too, very good. His body was still pressing into her and she felt her body get hot. What was that? Nick’s face was inches above hers, and she felt herself willing him to get closer, to do something other than look at her.