Chapter 24

Lane

The air was dark, and thick with smoke and the heavy stench of blood and urine. Lane took a deep breath, and instantly regretted it as she had to fight back the urge to vomit. She tried to lift her hand to cover her mouth, only to find that she was chained to the wall that she was sitting against by her hands and her feet.

It was around that time that she began to feel the cold seeping into her, as if it was crawling into her body and through her soul, and she started to shiver. She could hear the sound of her own teeth chattering, and hear the chains rattling from her bodies violent shaking.

“Don’t worry, the shaking is only one of the side effects of the process. It’ll soon pass and that’s when the real fun begins.” The deep, male voice rang throughout the room, causing goosebumps to erupt on Lane’s skin.

The voice wasn’t one she had heard before,  but her instant response was defensive. She couldn’t see the man through the darkness, but she could feel that he was evil. She had never met a person quite as dark, as vile, as this man was.

Instantly, Lane felt herself wish Nybbas was there. Even if he was the Demon of Fear and the one who had caused her immense pain and grief in her life, he was her Mate and she knew that he would help her and protect her no matter what. She also wouldn’t mind if her brother was there as well, he had always been there for her.

At the thought of her brother, Lane felt a memory beginning to surface. As she pictured her brother feeding her the blood of a human, as well as that of a demon, she could feel the bile threatening to rise. That couldn’t have been her brother, he wasn’t a demon, and he never would have chained her to a wall and forced her into the Change, trying to make her a demon.

So who had it been? Lane had a feeling that the man who was speaking to her had the answers she was looking for.

“Why?” Lane’s voice was hoarse when she spoke, and she ended up coughing when she tried to swallow. How long had she been in this darkness? When was the last time she had ate anything, or drank anything?

“Why? My dear Angel, i’m doing this for you. I’m doing this to give you power, so that you can finally have the revenge that you’ve been waiting for since you were a little girl. I’m doing this to give you everything you’ve ever wanted, and then some. All you have to do is agree to this, and you can have the things you’ve only dreamt about.”

He was offering her revenge? He was offering her everything she had ever wanted. Promises, such a small word which people put too much faith in. Promises were broken easier than glass, and that was a lesson that Lane had learned the hard way one too many times.

“There’s nothing you could give me that would make me agree to the Change. I’d rather die than become a creature so vile, that they feed off of the death, the life force, of innocent humans.” Lane felt her back stiffen when she heard the sound of footsteps approaching her.

When the cold, hard hand connected with her cheek, it left a resonating crack and forced Lane’s head to snap to the side. She could instantly taste the coppery tang of her own blood and her cheek and jaw began to throb. Lane forced back the tears, and instead, she squared she shoulders and raised her chin defiantly.