Chapter 16

Lane

She stood on the sidewalk, on the oppposite side of the street where the apartment building was. As she stood, underneath the street light which illuminated her body, she warned herself not to run right into the apartment ready for a kill.

She was wearing a black cloak, with the hood pulled up, covering her face. Her long, honey blonde hair was pulled back into a bun and she was wearing a pair of leather pants and a leather corset, both were full of daggers and knives, strapped to her back was her sword, a katana that was made from silver and embued with gold, which was painful for all demons and made sure they couldn't heal afterwards.

She was prepared to kill, and the demon inside of her was begging for the kill, the blood on her hands. She was the Demon of Pain, and since she had the demon inside her, she felt no pain. She felt few emotions along with it. She had no fear, and along with that came no joy.

She liked it best that way, she was a strong fighter, and a determined and calculating killer. She killed her Marks and never once failed. She was Lucifer's best killer, and also his lover. Their "relationship" had been going on since the first time she stood up to him, and it had been going on since then.

They would fight each other, they would get their anger out, and then they would use the passion they had built for different reasons. He didn't love her, and she didn't love him. They used each other, and they both liked it that way. Lucifer felt no love, and Lane felt nothing.

To be honest, he disgusted her. At first, she had done anything to make him proud of her. Anything t make him happy would make her happy. But the longer she had her powers, the more she realized she didn't care about him, and she didn't care about how he felt. She cared about her next kill, and she did whatever  neccessary to make him give her the next Mark. 

Lane looked up to the top floor, where her Mark was, she could see him standing in front of the window, looking down at her. She wanted him to see her, to know that she was watching him.

Using her magic, she transported herself to the side of the building, where she placed her hand against the building and listened to the building. She used the water pipes to listen into the conversations going on through the building. 

She maneuvered her magic through the pipes to the one she was looking for, and when paused it and cloaked her magic when she found it. She was shocked by the cnversation she heard.

"What are you doing standing by the window Nybbas?" the voice sounded beautiful, even though it was masculine. Lane smirked when she realized she had found her Mark. 

"I swear I felt her Angel, and then there was a person standing underneath the streetlight looking right up at me. It felt like her." The voice was deep and clearly masculine, and it sent shivers of pleasure down Lane's body.

There was silence, and then the rustling of clothing. Lane assumed someone had stood up and was walking. It must have been the first speaker walking over to Nybbas, the Angel.

The word was sarcastic and harsh, even as just a thought. Lane had a deep hatred for anything angelic, probably due to her past.

There is it, Lane thought, the burning sensation of anger and hatred. It's been a long time since i've felt the human emotions.

Being down there was a much different sensation than being back on earth. Down there, emotions caused too much drama down there, so whenever down there Lucifer locks up all emotions, leaving only lust and pride. It was a dangerous mix, one that the King of the Demons enjoyed very much.

He was a sick bastard, and the knew it. So did everyone else. He was dangerous and twisted and that's the way he liked it. No one challenged him for his throne, and as far as Lane knew, he had been in hold of the throne since long before the Son of God walked the Earth.

Lane tuned into the voices as she once again heard something.

"Demon, we haven't heard from her. And her Shadow can't feel her anymore, the evidence shows she's gone. Just like you, I have hope though. But you can't keep jumping at the fact that every time you see a woman, you think it's her."

That had been the voice that wasn't Nybbas, so it had been the Angel.

"You keep avoiding saying her name, she's not dead. My beautiful Mate isn't dead." Nybbas growled, and from the following crash, Lane assumed he had hit something.

Nybbas definitely had anger issues. Well, so did she.

"I can't say her name Demon, it's only been a few months but I can't say it and make it real. You think i'm not hurting? All of my siblings have been taken from me by the same revolting creature, yet i'm supposed to be looking for her, in vain?" The Angel was starting to get upset, and Lane was amsued. 

This was starting to become something similar to a soap Opera that the humans loved to watch so much.

"I gave up Heaven and Hell to look for her, and what are we doing? Sitting in her apartment doing nothing! We're not even trying Remiel!"

Nybbas sounded furious yet depressed at the same time, which surprised Lane. Those were two totally different emotions, what was that thing the humans had? The grieving process? Denial was one of those right?

" What's there to try Nybbas? She's gone, she's not even a blip on the radar now. You were smooth, you did an evil and a good act in one so that you had one more year on Earth, but that doesn't mean you can find someone who doesn't want to be found. You haunted her dreams since she was 5, and after a few hundred years that builds into something akin to hatred. It was a cruel fate that you are her Chosen, but that doesn't mean she wants you."

"Her name is Laneene!" Nybbas yelled, and his yelled seemed to shake through Lane's entire body.

Lane couldn't breathe as anger rocked through her body, the Demon had just said her name. Did that mean she was supposed to be Nybbas' Mate and Remiel's sister? That would mean her Mark was her Mate and her "Big Brother" Whom had abandoned her was upstairs, in that room?

Oh, it was time to kill, and there was no way Lane was letting either of those beings walk out of that room alive. 

It was time for her revenge.