Chapter 7

Three days went by uneventfully, and Lane was on edge. She wasn’t used to sitting around and not doing anything. She had even learned how to play all the gaming systems nick had, and it wasn’t enough. The fighting games were not like the real thing. Lane wanted to feel the adrenaline and the triumph as she stood over a dead body.

Lane shook her head, as she looked at herself in the mirror again. She was wearing a tight, revealing black shirt and a pair of worn blue jeans, they were tight against her leg, and the bottoms were covered by her knee high laced up heels. They were black and they were gorgeous, she had fallen in love with them at the store and Nick had insisted on buying them for her.

Lane smiled; Nick was just as stubborn as her, if not more. He bought her whatever she looked at for more than a minute or whatever she said she liked. She wasn’t used to it, and at first she had refused, but when he ignored her and bought them anyway, she gave up. She wasn’t going to be with Nick long enough to have him buy expensive things, and she would pay him back before she left.

Each night, he would take her to a fancy restaurant to eat, and he would always order steak, and each time she would eat something different. She had never honestly ate any good besides the cheap stuff from the grocery store, and she was starting to like the new variety of flavors she was given.

Lane smiled into the mirror and looked at her hair, Nick had taken her to a salon, and she had gotten a manicure, pedicure, and her hair done. It was now layered and cut shoulder length; it curled at the end, due to its natural waviness. It looked good, the honey blonde was soft and it shone in the sunlight.

Lane turned from the mirror and looked into the room. Nick had tried to make her sleep in his room, but she had told him stubbornly no and she slept in the guest room. Lane knew that she could not get attached to the demon; she wouldn’t be around him long enough. There was a good possibility she would not make it through the month. Lane sighed; she would not think about that right now, she was in too good of a mood. She had gone to her movie the night before, and she had eaten popcorn, which had been delicious. She had been living on Earth for the last 5 years, and she still hadn’t gone to a movie or ate popcorn. She had become so obsessed in the job of killing the other Fallen, that she had completely ignored everything else.

Lane shook her head, and then walked out of the bathroom and to the bedroom. The sunlight was streaming in through the window and it was making the room uncomfortably warm, due to all of the black. She would rather be cold, in her own apartment where she spent a lot of money to keep it freezing.  At the mention of her apartment, Lane felt a wave of nausea sweep over it, it happened every time she thought about her apartment. There was a gnawing suspicion that things didn’t happen quite as Nick said they had when he went to her apartment. Lane wanted to, but her instincts were screaming at her not to trust him. She couldn’t, there was something about him that left Lane feeling cold, and not in the way she enjoyed.

Lane would not be staying there much longer, but she couldn’t leave yet. Nick was watching her every movement, like he was just waiting for her to run, and she knew Nick would be standing at the door with his arms crossed, blocking the exit. This made Lane nervous and jumpy, she felt like she was trapped in the corner.

Tonight, Lane had convinced Nick to let her go out to a club she normally went to for information. He had denied her, and she had bristled and told him he wasn’t in charge of her, he also wasn’t her mate, so he needed to back off or she was going to leave, and after cursing at anything and everything but her, he had finally agreed. But he would accompany her, so she didn’t do anything that she would regret. He had said those exact words, and Lane knew he meant more than killing an innocent. It was only anger and bloodlust that had started being triggered easily, it was also lust and giddiness, and she had to fight not to jump Nick.