Chapter 11

Laneene

Lane sat at the table, tapping her fingers on the oak. She had been sitting down her for an hour now, and they were still upstairs. Lane wasn't very patient, she hadn't been since..

Since you moved in with the Fallen Demon Her inner voice sneered, Lane rolled her eyes. Then she thought about it for a second. Maybe it was right, she had seemed to change since staying here with Nick. He angered her, he got on her nerves, he had even caused her to yell and curse, which she had never done in her entire life.

Lane frowned, and she stopped tapping. She stood up quickly, needing to find a distraction so she would stop thinking about the Demon. She knew very little about him, but he had constantly questioned her about her life, not leaving her alone until she answered. Lane had never been more annoyed in her life.

Lane walked into the living room, and over to the twin bookshelves he had which held a wide assortment of books. From novels, to comic books, to.. spell books? Lane picked the first one up, noting how old it seemed. It was heavy and the pages looked worn. She flipped open to the front page, the yellow pages felt old, and it smelled old too. Lane gently ran her finger down the page, scanning the words. She couldn't read it, because it seemed to have been written in a different language. One the demons used obviously. 

Lane soon became frustrated with her lack of understanding, and she was about the close the book when something caught her eye. She looked down at the page, noticing a mark the looked familiar.

Beside the mark was a word, just one word, but it was a word that sent chills throughout Lane's entire body. It left her frozen in fear.

Nybbas

It became hard for Lane to breath. Nybbas was the demon of nightmares, he was one of the most powerful demons in the Underworld because of his cruelty. He was the demon that created nightmares, and Lane knew this for a fact.

The night that Lane's brothers' Uriel and Zachriel had vanished, Lane had bagun having nightmares about them. She would find herself in hell, chained to a wall to watch her brothers being tortured. The next night she would be the one being tortued while her brothers were forced to watch her. It was terrible, and she would awaken each night and watch as every mark on her body healed. She wasn't just tortured in her dreams, it was real to her body. If she died in one of those dreams, she would actually die. And that terrified Lane.

The pain never went away though, she would feel phantom pains throught her body, and it was an every day occurence. That is why she would cry out in her sleep, and that's what she believed made her a better Fallen, because she was able to ignore the pain and focus on the kill.

Lane looked back at the mark, staring at it for a minute. Where had she seen that mark before? It was eerily familar to her.

Lane felt it click into place then, and the book slipped from her hands. It landed on the floor was a loud crash, and she knew the two demons would soon come downstairs to check it out. Lane only had moments.

Lane wrapped her magic around her, silently calling for Rummy. She masked her scent as she slowly crept to the front door. She felt Rummy surround her, knowing she was now hidden in his shadow and wouldn't be seen. she opened the front door, praying that it wouldn't creak.

When it stayed silent, she sent a quick thank you and continued out the door. She walked down the front steps and down the walk way, she then made a left and kept walking, using her energy to mask her scent still. She didn't want the demon following her. 

She ran as soon as she was far enough away from the house to make it look less suspicious. Her bare feet made no sound on the cement as she ran, and she didn't look back. She just kept running, she ignored the pain as she ran over broken glass from a bottle that had been shattered on the ground. She would pick the glass shards out later, when she was safe. Right now she needed to get as far away as possible.