Chapter 23

Nybbas

Nybbas watched the retreating figure of his Mate, anger and guilt plaguing him with each step she took. He could still smell the scent of her blood in the air, sulphur was an overpowering stench, and even though Nybbas knew it was what all Demon’s blood smelt like, it still bothered him. The worst part was that it was his fault that Lane was hurt, he was the one that had caused her pain.

Once more, Nybbas cursed the Lupine inside of him, the one that caused him to act irrational and out of control. Even though he’d had the other side of him for thousands of years, he still had very little control over it. The lupine side of him would rise up, forcing him to shift, whenever it felt like he was in danger, or he was disrespected. It didn’t matter who it was, the wolf would kill anyone.

In fact, Lane was lucky. Nybbas hated to admit it, but if she wasn’t his Mate, and his lupine didn’t recognize her as such, then she would be dead for disrespecting him the way she did. That didn’t mean that he didn’t feel just as guilty, or upset, it just meant that he knew that his wolf wouldn’t kill their Mate. It was strange, because Nybbas had to share his Mate with another side of him, the animal side of him.

Nybbas hated it, despised the fact that since he had “earned” his lupine, nothing had ever just been his. He had given his entire life to Lucifer and to his lupine, but when he found his Mate, the other thing that was supposed to be his and only his, he still had to share her. Lucifer had taken her, changed who she was, who Nybbas had fallen in love with, and now his Lupine was trying to force her to bend her will to him, to accept him as her Alpha, allow him to control her.

It was cruel, and he wouldn’t allow his wolf to ever hurt Lane again. He refused to ever let anyone hurt his Mate again. He vowed to protect her, even if that meant protecting her from himself.

“She’s mad, but she’ll get over it soon enough.” Luke said, bringing Nybbas from his thoughts to reality.

Nybbas turned to look at the one demon he had called his only friend for hundreds of years. The betrayal and hurt coursed through him, but was soon replaced by anger. He felt his teeth elongated, and he growled, narrowing his eyes at Luke.

He walked toward the under-demon, and threw him into the wall, catching him before he hit the ground and holding him up against the wall by his neck. He could feel his wolf clawing its way to the surface, begging to be let out and attack the one who had betrayed him, but Nybbas ignored him.

After just recently shifting, he knew that his lupine wouldn’t be strong enough to force the shift for a few days, so he had full control. It was refreshing, not having to worry about his Lupine taking over and killing.

No, Nybbas wanted to do that himself.

“You fucking knew, you worthless mutt. You knew that my Mate was a demon, and you befriended her. You never told me, even though you knew I was searching for her, going insane without her. Why didn’t you tell me?” Nybbas growled, tightening his hold on Luke’s throat.

The other demon narrowed his eyes, the green orbs flashing with anger and indignation. Nybbas could feel as Luke drew upon his power, trying to force the older demon away from him. It didn’t work, and instead, Nybbas pulled upon his own power, temporarily paralyzing the younger demon.

“No, no magic. Now, answer my question before I bash your damn skull into this wall.”

“I- couldn’t - tell- you.” Luke managed to choke out.

Nybbas growled, “I don’t believe you.”

“Then kill me.”

Nybbas let go of the lesser demon and stepped back, “As much as I would love to kill you, I won’t. My Mate seems to have taken a liking to you, and I don’t want her to hate me more than she already does.”

Luke rubbed his neck as he watched Nybbas, “I didn’t betray you, Nybbas. My loyalty still lies with you and only you. Lucifer refused to let me leave, he was watching my every move. The most I could do was protect her until she was strong enough to defend herself.”

At Luke’s words, Nybbas felt his anger deflate. He should have known that Lucifer would have something to do with the vanishing of his closest friend and his Mate, he was always looking for ways of trying to weaken Nybbas.

Nybbas was a Higher Demon, and his power matched Lucifer since fear was so easily accessible, he was always able to grow stronger. Not only that, but he was also a Lupine, an Alpha, which meant that he was even stronger. Lucifer had never been able to control Nybbas, neither had the Demon of Lust, and that meant he was a liability, one that they couldn’t control or eliminate.

Until he found his Mate, that is. Now, he had to protect her and that meant that they would use her against them. He shuddered at the thought of their intentions, the things that would have done and would still do to her.

Without another word to Luke, Nybbas turned to follow after his Mate. He would protect her, even if that meant he had to protect her from himself.

Laneene

Lane just watched the couple for a few seconds, waiting for them to smirk or laugh, to show that they weren’t being serious. Unfortunately, they both looked serious, and Lane could felt her head begin to ache as a headache became imminent in her future.

“Alright, well it’s nice to formally meet you both. Now, to what do I owe the pleasure of a visit from Life and Death?” Lane tried hard, but she couldn’t quite disguise the sarcasm in her voice.

Life’s smile vanished, and her green eyes flashed with anger. “Listen to me Pain, we’re here to help you. I know all about your life, every little detail. My Mate, he knows about every single person you have killed, and how it happened. I came here to give you back your memories, and to help you understand the life of a Mate, who is not the same.. species as you.”

Lane just arched an eyebrow. “So you risked coming here just so you could talk to my mate and I?” She couldn’t help the venom in her words when she spoke of Nybbas, she was still furious over what happened only minutes before.

“You’re right, we are risking alot by being here, but I know how confused you are, and I know that you’re hurting right now. You haven’t had an easy life, Laneene, but you don’t remember the good moments of your life that helped you get through.” Life spoke softly, her eyes showing pity that only seemed to anger Lane more.

“You may be able to see the events of my life, but you don’t know me and you don’t know how I feel.”

“That’s where you’re wrong. I don’t just see the events of your life, I am able to actually be you in the events, so I can feel your emotions and hear your thoughts. I know you, in a way that nobody else does.”

The sound of footsteps walking into the room had Lane turning around, prepared to defend herself. It was in the moment, that she felt Life’s small hands gently touch her exposed skin, and she Remembered.

I'm sorry it took so long to update, but the next chapter is going to be really long. I didn't want those who are reading to think that I had given up writing this story, so here :) Watch out for the next update, it should be up in the next week :D