Just Playing The Game

Start from the beginning

'I'm still working on it,' Flack muttered.

'Meaning, you're too pussy to make a move on the man hater.'

'Why do you insist on calling her that?' Lindsay wanted to know.

'In the few months she's been here have you seen her with a guy?' Danny coded, eyebrows lifting.

'No, but what does that prove?' shrugged Lindsay.

'What does that tell you?'

'That she's a strong, independent woman who doesn't need a man to make her feel complete,' Lindsay replied matter-of-factly.

'Well, there's that,' agreed Danny.

'Plus she's always working, and she obviously doesn't have time to date,' Lindsay added.

They had reached the main entrance of NYPD and were on their way down the steps that lead to the front street.

'That's just wrong,' Danny said shaking his head. 'I don't care how busy you are you always make time to enjoy the opposite sex.'

'When was the last time you went on a date?' Lindsay asked.

'Me?'

'Yeah, Danno, when was the last time?' Flack put in.

Danny looked flustered at being ganged up on but then shrugged it off. 'Well, y'know, in this job it's hard to meet - '

'Case and point,' Lindsay cut him off. Danny just sighed, stuffed his hands in his pockets and gave up. Lindsay considered it a triumphant home run on her part. She turned back to Flack. 'I hate to agree with Cro-Magnon man here, but maybe you should just grab the bull by the horns and ask her out,' she suggested.

'You just said she was too busy to date,' Danny reminded her.

'Well maybe she hasn't met the right guy.'

'I dunno,' Flack said sounding unsure.

'And the reason he sounds doubtful is because she's a man hater who bats for the other team. No doubt about it.'

Lindsay shot Danny a look. 'Are you still here?'

'I'm just sayin'.'

'Well, don't. And she's not gay,' Lindsay said.

'Okay, then explain why she hates men so much,' said Danny.

'So because you haven't seen her with a guy you assume she hates men and she's gay?'

'You seem to know a lot about her, you tell me. But in my book, a woman that hates men or doesn't date men - lesbian, every time.'

'That is just so typical of a man. Because a woman shows no sexual interest in him she must be gay.' Lindsay sighed in frustration. 'What's up, Danny? Did she knock you back and scar your masculine ego?'

'What? No way.' Danny said frowning. 'I wouldn't ask Duke out. Got no intention of either. I ain't gotta death wish.'

'Unbelievable,' Lindsay sighed, shaking her head.

'Why wouldn't you ask her out?' Flack asked curious. 'She's hot.'

'She's a babe,' Danny agreed. 'But c'mon, Flack, give it up. There's only like a thousand other babes you could waste your time with.'

'Maybe I want to waste some time with her.' Flack paused. 'You could be right about the gay thing, though.' He caught the look Lindsay was shooting his way. 'I'm not agreeing with him,' he quickly added. 'I'm just saying maybe she bats for both teams.'