Chapter 3: Bucky Barnes - Donuts for Days (Part I)

Author's Note:

I'm always trying to improve my ability to pull a person into a character's headspace or feel their emotions, and your feedback will help me know if what I'm trying for is working or not. Even an emoticon or button smashing tells me something useful and can influence what I write more or less of.

I respond to all comments and it's always fun to hear your thoughts ^^

.

.

. ** .

.

A calm breath left my lips. My body completely stilled.

The target. A couple miles away. Settled in my crosshairs.

He had no idea. Not a clue as to what his future held. How short it actually was.

All the target knew was the scotch. The drink he was pouring for himself.

With familiarity, my finger squeezed the trigger. My shoulder absorbed the kicked back. My arms with ease moved onto the next target in the room. Then the next one. And the next one.

Until the boardroom was littered with the dead.

A little girl suddenly appeared in my scope.

I dropped the rifle. Feeling the burn of its metal on my palm. Backing away from my sniper's nest.

I could see it. In the distance. I could see my work. Clear as day. Even in the night. Even with the bursts of fireworks.

A pair of twin boys painted red. The image seared into my eyes. Their bodies never to run or jump again.

I could almost hear the wails of their parents from where I hid.

The back of my knees collided with something hard. It had no give. I landed on something so familiar. My heart sank into my stomach.

Before I could get up, metal coiled around me. Held me in place. My heart pounded harder and harder. Scared of what was to come.

I fought harder. Trying to escape. To sink into the seat. Anything to get away from that monster of a machine.

I didn't want to lose myself. It was going to take everything from me. Everybody was going to disappear... again.

"STEVE!!!! PLEASE!!!! STEVE!!!!!!"

He'd save me. Like before. We're brothers. He's with me. 'Til the end of the line.

"STEEEVVEEE!!!!!"

My eyes shot open. My chest heaved for air.

'I killed... I killed children? I killed children.... Why did I kill them? How could I kill them...?'

My heart raced harder and harder. My head spun. I couldn't get enough air.

'How much of it was real...?'

My right hand came up. To wipe the sweat off my face. A scream tore from my throat.

Blood.

My hand was covered in blood.

Scrambling up, I found myself soaked in blood. Splattered up the arms. My clothes. The body at my feet....

I could feel another shriek welling up inside my chest. I had to bite it back.