Chapter 28: Bucky Barnes - Oasis (Part I)

.

.

. ** .

.

"How many are there?" I asked, exploring page after page, organized by faculty and number.

538 courses and counting.

"In English? A shit ton times... three-ish?" was Valeriy's less than useful reply. Paired with a shrug. She didn't even look up from another binder she's been working on. "So glad I don't have to piece together a schedule that doesn't involve waking up before dawn."

"You failed that goal every single term that wasn't online."

"Shhhh, let me keep dreaming."

"To which none of this matters with Mr. Barnes. As if I would disrupt his staggered sleep cycle," the A.I. ghost aimed right at Valeriy.

The head of dark red hair meekly ducked down. The movement shrugged her shoulders closer to her ears. A wince flashing across her face. She'd been wincing for the last four days.

"I have no idea what to study," I mumbled.

There were so many choices. A large portion of which I couldn't begin to guess what was being taught from the course name alone.

"What are you interest...ed..." her voice fading.

"...I... I can't even answer that question...."

"Going by how much time you spend staring at the stars, Astrology might be an option."

I added it to the list that consisted of only the word physics. Only there since it was the most interesting subject I had to study, and it didn't involve Valeriy having to drive out to grab a chemistry kit.

"I've created a page with all classes related to space. They might be of interest to you."

"What about the animal thing?" Valeriy tried.

"Zoology.... It's called Zoology."

"What did you take when you were in university?" I asked before the bickering to could start.

"Computer... sciences...? Was too lazy to switch out when I started hating it.... Took ancient Asian civilization as my art credits. That was more fun? Everything was just regurgitation," she said, scribbling a few lines of notes into the back of the binder.

That was an option. Ancient Civilizations. Anything from the past hundred years the A.I. ghost had censored off the lists. But there were thousands of years of history. Maybe I could even learn about the dinosaurs.

My fingers navigated to the A.I. ghost created tab on the tablet resting on my knees. Astrophysics. Cosmology. Planetary Geology.

Things were so convenient in this century. So much information found in almost an instant.

More books than a library could hold now fit in a slim device no bigger than a children's book. No more misplaced books. Even textbooks were digital.

'Bonnie would have loved this,' and the drifting thought put a pause in my reading.

I quickly switched to a pen and opened one of the hand bound notebooks. Another little bit of information about my sisters.

Bonnie would have loved the tablet. And the internet.

I added another line that I would have liked this if I were a kid. A lot easier to read under the blanket.

Thunk. Thunk. Thunk.