Chapter 4: Bucky Barnes - Perfectly Toasted Toast (Part I)

Author's Note:

I'm always trying to improve my ability to pull a person into a character's headspace or feel their emotions, and your feedback will help me know if what I'm trying for is working or not. Even an emoticon or button smashing tells me something useful and can influence what I write more or less of.

I respond to all comments and it's always fun to hear your thoughts ^^

.

.

.

The young woman stood over the bodies. Completely favoring her right leg.

The left was injured. The one who caught her. The one she bit. The one who pulled too hard on her foot.

Her hand fell to her side. Taser clutched between her bloodied fingers.

"Bastards be glad the fucking bear mace is at the bloody hotel," she sneered with a huff.

Her body dropped. Right onto one of the men she had tasered. Her face skewed in pain.

"You," she gritted out. Trying to mask a scream. It came out a whimper. "You alright, Bud - Oh god! Shit! You need a fucking hospital!" She pulled out the little black device, tapping on the glowing side.

"No!" I cried out. Panic pulling the air right out of my lungs. "I... I can't...."

"I don't even have a bloody signal to call them anyways.... There's probably more of those damn bastards around." Her uninjured foot kicked out at one of the unconscious men. Her expression was caught between pain and irritation. "I need to get a hold of Eve."

She tried to get up. Failed. Hissing in pain. Clutching her leg. Rolling over. Defeated.

One look at her ankle and I knew. She wouldn't be able to walk a step. An ankle shouldn't be bent that way.

"Bite down on something," I told her.

"Wha?" Confusion peered through her winces. Arms pushing herself up. So she could stare at me in question.

I leaned forwards. Grabbed her heel. Yanked hard. A pop.

Her body rocked back. Curling into a ball. Her fist flew to her mouth. Screaming around it. The fist did a poor job to muffle her.

Huffing, she shot me a scathing glare. "Some fucking warning would've been nice."

"I did," I stated.

It wasn't much. But it was something.

I scanned the shadows for more men. We were sitting ducks. Here out in the open. Then there was the pile of bodies. I had to clean this mess. Or the target might move.

"Oh, put that guy down." The young woman turning onto her front. Crawling towards the spot the food truck was usually parked. Her back to me. Unguarded. She saw what I could do. But she still stayed unwisely unguarded. "You're in no shape to be hauling bodies, Buddy."

"I... I can't..." I tried to form some sentence. Something coherent that wouldn't have her calling the cops on me.

I needed to stay hidden. Which meant this never happened. These bodies needed to disappear. The target. I finally found her. I needed this to go away.

"Yay, signal's back."

My stomach dropped. I needed to say something. Fast. Anything. To stop her. "Please don't... I...I -"