Chapter 20: Bucky Barnes - Purple Red Oranges (Part III)

AN: This is contains probably one of my favourite bits od Mosaic. Let me know what you think!

.

.

.

"Alright," she chirped. "See you in a – Hey!"

Stress. I could hear it through that single word.

"I knew it. You are a little cutie, aren't you? What are you doing hiding such beautiful hair under this ratty old thing?"

My stomach dropped.

A stranger's voice. Male. Young. Muffled slightly by something. Likely fabric of some sort.

A huff was the loudest thing I could hear. A huff I knew belonged to Valeriy. "I'd like my hat back. Thank you."

A rustle of fabric sounded much like static over the call.

I could just manage to hear a heartbeat softly speeding up by the second.

"Val-Valentina...?"

"Oh, so cute," the male cooed. "Aww. Not going to jump some more?"

"Do not throw that hat in the rubbish. It belonged to my dead grandfather." The lie rolling right out of her with warning.

"Is that a slight accent I hear? Where are you from? How long have you been here? I haven't seen you around before. I'd definitely know a sweetie like you."

There was a stutter to the heartbeat before it got louder and everything else more muffled.

"Sorry. Not interested. Hat. Ple – "

"Hang up and come join my friends and I. You'll have the time of your life. I promise. We know the best spot to watch the sunset and the best club in the city. I'd enjoy seeing what other sexy tattoos you have."

"Seriou – Do not touch me."

"Did I not say to hang u – "

A couple of beeps and then silence.

"Valentina?" I called out.

Nothing.

"Val!?!"

Just silence.

Took a second, but I raced for the cuttlefish octopus skin based mask. Slapping it onto my face. Barely checked I had a face in the reflection before I rushed outside. Keys in hand. Pausing only to lock the motorhome.

The moment eyes were off me, I broke into a full sprint.

1.4 Kilometers away.

And the red dot on the screen wasn't moving.

The A.I. ghost had showed me how to track the signal coming off the casts she had on her.

I took to the roof tops and stuck to the shadows when nature gave way to buildings. Stole a moped when I spotted one parked in a driveway. Taking the helmet with me.

Too much could happen in seconds. Let alone minutes. But it took minutes to weave through the streets and across the field of shortly trimmed grass.

A sniffle echoed at my ears. Louder than the wind roaring around me.

"Becky? Becky, what happened?" my own voice bouncing off the inside of my skull.

A young girl curled up by the side of her bed. Wrapped up in a winter coat in the sweltering heat. Tears streaming down her cheeks.