Chapter 33: Valeriy Ayers - Shorts (Part VI)

.

.

.

"...How many explosives do you have on you?" he asked, head tilting far too much for that question. Just stared like I had a few extra legs.

'What the hell is Eve rending for pants?'

Could have given me an ass's ass for all I knew.

"A lot?" I replied. "All the others will have Eve whining about it being expensive. Like the revolvers or bracelets, which I don't feel like removing another G.P.S. chip...."

"I do not whine."

Ignoring Eve, I asked Bucky, "How about we take a mental break?"

"Sure." A smile just barely tugged on the corners of his lips.

When he stood up and stretched, a pang of jealousy filled me. I missed being able to stretch and having it feel good. I missed it so much.

Then again, watching him stretch. That's a thing. Pretty lines and muscles. Even a satisfied sound escaped his chest. I could watch him do that all day.

'Time to introduce him to yoga or something.' Preferably something with pretty lines and movement.

"I'll go grab some pants for you," he said after a pause of staring at whatever was happening below my T-shirt.

"I can find pants later. Eve, mind making us some old ass ship simulation game thing?"

"Eve, render us an Eldritch horror game without giving her any idea what type you're looking for."

"That was so much f–"

"Eve, render us an accurate real time neural map of Val's brain activity without giving her sensors or access to said brain."

"Oh yeah, still had to use the –"

"Eve, render us this thing. Eve, render us that game."

'She is on an absolute salt train. Guess no old ass ship today....'

"Eve wonders what kind of ship is an old ass ship!"

"Pirates of the Caribbean kind of old ass ship?"

"Galleon. They're called galleons."

'Galleon.' I could probably remember it for a day before asking again tomorrow. 'Galleon.' Probably.

"...Give me five minutes. And I get to use you two as dress up dolls."

"Huh...."

Eve's change of mind may or may not have had something to do with whatever's happening with Bucky's face.

His brow quirked up my way in question. Then his eyes practically sparkled. Then he was chewing away his lip, brows furrowed together in deep confusion. By the time Eve finished talking, his face had drained of blood. Eyes all wide. Smile long gone.

"Worse comes to worst you get stuck in a corset dress or something. Like Lizzie from the movie last night," I offered for comfort, which didn't go at all to plan.

Brows furrowed and bottom lip swollen, Bucky asked, "Elizabeth Swann?"

"Yup. Whatever you end up in, you'll look great. Eve sees no point in making ugly things unless she's sticking to realism or trying to unsettle people. Like with the zombies and those big bug things."