Chapter 23: Bucky Barnes - CHEESE (Part IV)

.

. ** .

.

"Think you can handle this?" I egged on, knowing full well he couldn't turn down a challenge.

Not even this wooden monstrosity of twists and turns. This is going to be awesome.

"...Steve?"

He was standing next to me just a second ago.

"Steve?! Where'd you go?"

Not a single head of blond hair at his height in the throng of people that surrounded me.

"Steve!"

"I can do this all day."

"Damn it, Stevie. Not this again."

I could hear my heart pounding at my ears while I raced towards his voice. Almost missed the clattering of hollow metal on hollow metal.

"Hey!" I yelled out, my fingers dug into a jacket. "Get the hell out of here! Or get your ass kicked."

I threw the stranger into the garbage can.

"I had him on the ropes, Punk."

"We're still going on the Cycl – "

A blow to the side of my head knocked me to the ground.

Jerked me out of sleep.

The surroundings dim, lit up only by the headlights of the sedan. Stone walls laced with black holes sped away.

"Hey, hey. We're safe here."

"Valeriy?" I called out, craning my stiff neck to the back of the car.

She was driving into darkness. At thirty kilometers an hour.

'Are we... in a... tunnel system...?'

"Val! There's a wall!"

I dropped the dart revolver in favor for the wheel and the emergency brakes only to have her arm blindly flail about to stop me.

"Bucky, no," she chided. "And do not jump out of the car."

"There's a wall!!"

I tried to hide behind my arm. Even the metal one. But I couldn't tear my eyes away from the wall we were headed straight for.

"Don't worry about the wall."

"We're going to crash!! Val!!! What happened to the – There's another wall!!!"

"If it'll make you feel better, you can just close your eyes," the crazy woman suggested lightly, calmly switching gears, flinging the front end of the car and flooring the gas. All to make a tight turn while changing the direction she was driving.

"No! It wouldn't! I would not feel better!"

"If you slept for the hour I told you to – "

"Val!!!"

"I feel that I'm going to lose my hearing before we get to – "

"Why are there so many fucking walls!?!"

All I got was more laughter, which didn't ease my nerves in the least. I couldn't shoot the walls away. But somehow this wall was dodged with the floor suddenly dropping down into another tunnel with another wall.