Chapter 20: Bucky Barnes - Purple Red Oranges (Part IV)

.

.

.

Once inside, Valeriy's hand rested on metal plates of the arm. "Why don't you get cleaned up first? I'll put everything away."

Glancing down, I saw just how muddy I got my boots and pants. With a quick nod, I hurried to the back, placing the bags down on the counter before closing the bedroom door behind me. A sniff at the clothing, and I decided another shower was needed.

The cool water kept it short. Didn't want to stay in the cold. But it still washed the stress away with the dirt and sweat stuck to my skin.

The wind from the air conditioning unit made everything colder. Even with clothing on. It cooled the water soaked fabric stuck to my skin. The hoodie helped blocked some of the cold.

The moment I opened the bedroom door, Valeriy started talking over the running water of the sink. "How does dinner in bed and a relaxing movie sound?"

'Bugs,' the word popping up in my head on its own.

"Bucky?" Her face peeking out from around the corner. A smile pulling at her lips.

"Hmm? Sure," I replied, ignoring the thought.

"Let me finish rinsing the fruit and I'll set up the movie."

Instinctively, I rolled up my sleeves, pausing when I started on the left one. I didn't want it to be seen... but she didn't seem to mind the arm. Still, I made sure to slip into the spot to her left.

With a soft laugh, she shuffled over a step to make room for me at the sink. Which was tiny compared to the one at the house. Not enough room for four hands.

"...I don't think this is enough food..." I pointed out.

"Got more calories in the freezer."

I did not like opening the freezer. It's cold. Even worse with wet hair.

Boxes of frozen pizza laid inside. That should be enough.

Pepperoni. Quattro Formaggi. Pepperoni pesto. Funghi. Pepperoni. Spincaci. Pepperoni.

'Pepperoni.' Quickly plucked out from a metal arm's length away.

"I'm going to go get the movie setup. We can pause and grab the pizza later," Valeriy chirped over her shoulder, walking to the bedroom with a plateful of baked goods and a couple cans of cola in her arms.

While waiting for the oven to heat up to temperature, I double checked the instructions for how long to leave the pizza inside. The A.I. ghost wasn't around to tell me when the pizza was done. Thirteen minutes. Six less than the average time I've waited on the A.I. ghost's instructions.

Before I could contemplate on it further, I gathered some of the fruits into my arms. The berries and plums.

Haphazardly tossed in the middle of the freshly made bed was part of our dinner. Valeriy stood in front of a blindingly bright blue television screen, prodding at buttons. Standing back a step and searching the screen in confusion.

"Got no idea where I lost the remote.... This is so much easier to do with Eve controlling everything.... Come on. Settle in, Bucky."

Stiffly, I perched at the edge of the bed. Food still in hand. The left side. Closest to the door.

"Eve, where have you gone? I need you. Come back to me. We want to watch a movie..." she partially sung to herself. "...Bucky, you're warming up the fruit...."