Chapter 30: Valeriy Ayers - Black Sand (Part II)

.

.

.

"I'm going to take a gander here, but did you forget about toasting a certain treat for a particular spaced out sergeant?"

"...."

Without a word of acknowledgement, I quietly washed my hands and tossed a couple of cinnamon buns into the toaster.

"You should eat something yourself, Val."

"...Yeah... I guess I should...."

Too lazy to do much else let alone move, I plucked a pair of PROs from the fridge and then stood in front of Bucky.

Should I sit to his left or right?

'What the hell did those assholes do to you?'

On his left, he might feel safer with having his cybernetic between us, but he had never actually put it between us. Barely even let me touch it.

On his right, my usual spot. That was if Zeph wasn't hogging the hell out of it.

"Sit to his right. Last thing you need is to take another hit from that arm of his."

"...Yeah, 'kay."

That made sense.

I made sure to keep some distance between us, not to invade his personal space or crowd him.

'Well, this certainly wasn't how I imagined my day would go....'

My thumb broke through the thin red peel. I tried to keep the skin in one piece. This time, instead of a winding spiral, I tried something akin to a world map. Sliced my nail down the side and wiggled my thumb between flesh and skin. The peel tore and broke wherever it was strained too much.

'Aww, no....'

At the fallen third of the peel, I gave up my attempt. Impatience got the better of me and I finagled a purple coloured slice free.

I opened my mouth to take a sweet delicious bite only to scream.

My hand bashed against a stubbled chin, knocking a head into my nose.

"Bucky!?! Achoo! Oh god. Sorry! Achoo! You're uhh..." I half babbled through my sneezes, awkwardly patting his chin that I half punched. "How...? Um, how are you...?"

Bucky just hummed. While he chewed the PRO slice he bit out of my fingers, a ghost of a smile played on his lips.

Not spotting any discomfort or fear in him, I shrugged off the incident and freed another slice to eat.

Only to have Bucky's head get in the way again. This slice ended up in his mouth too. As well as the next one, and the one after that. No matter how fast I moved my hand, I could not managed to get a slice into my own damn mouth.

With four slices in his mouth, he looked so much like a chipmunk. Cheeks puffed out. Absolutely adorable. The temptation to poke at his cheeks grew by the second. Pretty sure that would end up with juice splattered all over the place.

Bucky plucked the rest of the PRO out of my hands.

"...Okay?"

With a shrug, I grabbed the other PRO.

Before I could get my thumb under the skin, he took that as well. Set it on the other side of him. Out of my reach.

"...."