Chapter 9: Bucky Barnes - Smoke Twisted Memories (Part I)

Author's Note:

I'm always trying to improve my ability to pull a person into a character's headspace or feel their emotions, and your feedback will help me know if what I'm trying for is working or not. Even an emoticon or button smashing tells me something useful and can influence what I write more or less of.

I respond to all comments and it's always fun to hear your thoughts ^^

.

.

. ** .

.

"STEVE!!! Steve!?! Please.... Please... Steve.... It's so cold.... Can't feel anything.... Where-Where are you...? Don't leave me... St.... Don't want to be here anymore...."

Darkness cleared into a few blindingly bright lights.

"Sergeant Barnes."

'N-no.... Not you. Please....'

An electrical saw screamed at my ears only to be drowned out by my own.

"NOT MY ARM!!!!!"

They're taking it. All over again.

"STE – !!!"

A force slammed right into my gut. Wind rushed past me. Chilling right down to the bones.

Desperately, I reached out. Metal found its way under my fingers. A bar. It froze my skin. Numbing my hand. The frost made it slippery.

But I had to hang on. I had to. I had to retur –

"Let go!"

A man in red, white and blue held onto the side of the train. Fire breathed out of his mouth as he yelled more words. Words I couldn't understand. Horns pushed through the blue helmet. Bloody worms burst out of his left eye. He moved closer and closer, crawling along the outside of the car wall.

Something's off.

'This isn't right.'

I had to hold on.

I had to return ho –

A scream tore from my throat. The metal rod broke free. The faster the wind blew past me, the smaller the demon shrunk. Right into the distance.

My body spun. I couldn't control it.

The cliffs got too close. My hand got caught between the rocks. Broke my bones. Ripped away part of my arm.

"Eleven targets," a man stated. Someone to watch over logistics. "Get it done."

A Barrett M82A1 laid snug in its case. Ready.

Setting up was simple. Routine. I could do it in my sleep. Lying on a metal table. Finding the boardroom.

A calm breath left my lips. My body completely stilled.

The target. A couple miles away.

He settled in my crosshairs. He had no clue. No idea as to what his future held. How short it actually was. All the target knew was the scotch. The drink he was pouring for himself.

"No!" I gasped, sitting upright. A vibration getting stronger and stronger on my right wrist.

"Mr. Barnes. Mr. Barnes, you're in my house. You're in D.C. Can you hear me, Mr. Barnes? I am Eve. You're in my house. You're in D.C. Can you hear me?"