Chapter 31: Bucky Barnes - Goldilocks (Part II)

.

.

.

"Sorry," she mumbled into my shoulder. "It's just a stupid nightmare...."

"It's not stupid," I countered. Holding her tighter.

The words that left my own lips felt like a slap to the face. For every time the A.I. ghost woke me from the terrors. For the times I wanted to scream and spill all the horrors. For the times I wanted to be wrapped up in blankets and a hug.

For all the times I've told myself that it was all stupid.

"I shouldn't be – Not after so lo...." She huffed and dropped her head against my shoulder with a thud. "...It's tiring."

My fingers tangled through her hair. Stroking down her head. Combing through the tangles. Trying to imitate what she's done for me.... When she hadn't thought I had eyeballs in my hair.

The metal fingers brought the mug to my lips. I blew at the hot drink. Dodged her hand when she tried to grab it from me again.

"It needs to cool down."

She merely grumbled. Hid her face against my neck. Her hair tickling my nerves.

I stamped down the urge to react. Concentrated on my breathing. Needed to cool down the drink. Took a testing sip.

Sweet. Creamy. Cinnamon.

'This... should be okay?'

Didn't burn my tongue. 42 degrees Celsius.

A bouncy upbeat song.

A twirl of green spotted dress.

A hint of butterscotch in the chocolate.

A smack of a wooden spoon.

"Bucky, no. That's simmering. It'll burn you."

'...Why...? Why can't I remember... your face...?'

No matter how I tried....

I couldn't.

I transferred the mug from the metal fingers over to my hand before placing it in Valeriy's. "Don't gulp it down."

"Okay," she chirped, cautiously tasting the hot chocolate. "Thanks."

A little giggle. A content hum. A thud when she knocked her head against my chin. None too gently. It sort of hurt.

"Sorry," she winced out, giving my chin a pat. Thumb catching on the stumble when it stroked over the spot her head knocked.

My palm ended up on her cheek. My thumb tracing over that apologetic smile. Feeling the tremble in her cheek from the forced expression. A mask covering her nerves.

The smile dropped. A brow rose in question. Her breath shortened. Slowly her skin under my hand warmed up.

Her left hand covered a portion of mine. Fingers slipping between mine. Gently pulled my hand away from her face. I didn't resist it, letting them fall to her knee.

Valeriy cleared her throat. Her eyes drifting off to the left of me. "I – um, I need a distraction...?"

"Tetris?"

"Nah. Are you still alright with me nudging you into darting me?"

If it would distract her, "Yes."

"I could really use the sleep," she shrugged with another smiling mask. "If I start growing eye bags... yeah, not going there. Not fun."