Chapter 28: Bucky Barnes - Oasis (Part V)

.

.

.

The faucet turned on, filling the silence between them.

'She wants... she wants to fight against Hydra...?'

The thought of facing them terrified me. If they didn't have answers as to how to fix what they did to my mind, I'd spend the rest of my days doing everything I could to avoid them.

I couldn't expose her to the horrors that made up Hydra. She'd break and change, and I didn't want that for her.

"...still hasn't moved... legitimately... going to hurt... how?"

I could barely hear her friend over the running water.

"I have some idea where he's coming from."

"But... enhanced. Similar... other dead guy... who's no longer...."

"You've got to stop calling them dead. They're not dead."

"...I'll try... and...you okay... him thinking that?"

"Ye – Where is this coming from?" Valeriy asked, the light tone dropping from her voice. She even shut off the faucet.

"I'd rather catch the problem before I'm picking up the pieces. Only a matter of time before I won't be able to find a fix to the messes you make of your body."

"...I haven't been so bad this time around? Bucky's put a stop to most of my dumber ideas... and prevented a lot of stupid accidents...."

'Most...' the word echoing in my head. '...What the hell did she do?'

Whatever it was, it could explain why her movements have been careful as of the last five days. Likely due to sore muscles.

"Your self-destructive streak better not pile up into one incredibly stupid stunt again."

"Uhhhhhh...."

I could hear all the bad ideas in Valeriy's pause. Mostly jumping off of high places. If she jumped enough times, that could explain the sore muscles.

"Need I remind you how sick you were for the months after you – "

"Please don't spike me with some weird thing. Bucky's eating the PROs too."

"His serum can handle it. Maybe some slight nausea."

"He's got enough going on. He doesn't need to worry about his food 'cause you're curious about his... wait, serum? As in the Rebirth thing –?"

"I do believe Mr. Barnes has come to," the A.I. ghost stated, putting an end to their conversation and their attention on me.

"Bucky!"

I turned at Valeriy's voice. Facing that beaming grin and all the panic and nerves she buried beneath it.

"Oh oh! I threw some cinnamon buns in the oven! Be done in about... I have no idea...?"

"Eleven minutes, give or take a couple."

"Thank you..." I said, folding the eight blankets wrapped tightly around me. A short task if the dogs weren't tugging at a corner every time I made a fold.

A glance up at the television and there wasn't much of the Asian that could be seen. She was covered under the vines. I couldn't tell where one began and another started. There were even thirty flowers swaying and bouncing. All of them facing the same thing. The woman, who was still calm. Irritated but calm. Even when her arm was being pulled out from under her chin at random intervals.