Chapter 30: Valeriy Ayers - Black Sand (Part IV)

.

. ** .

.

"Did you hear that? Was that just me? Tell me that was just me? Tell me you didn't hear a crack! What the hell cracked?!" I yelled, trying to crawl out from under the massive water tank I was working on.

"...You may have a problem on your hands."

"Amber?!"

"Yup. You have a problem."

"What the fuck is cracking n –!?"

"The glass, what else?" Amber commented from her spot on the table, safe from the water flooding out of the tank.

"I was really hoping that it wasn't," I muttered, flinging my soaking hair off my face.

"If hope could alter reality, we wouldn't be working on this project."

"That would an interesting world to live in."

"It wouldn't be boring. Absolute chaos, as the good willed and the greedy clash in ideals. Do you know anybody who could make this world happen?"

"...Nope," I said, searching my memory through all the files on powered people I've read. "Nobody comes to mind...? Yup, nobody...."

"...This is the third glass that broke."

"I was hoping that third time's the charm. But I think we're making this too big. Water volume problem."

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome," Eve half sung.

"Remember not everyone can do detail work like you do, and you're trying to make this free for everyone," Amber reminded.

"Fuck.... And I've been poking around at other projects like this. They're being sunk by corporations. Something about loss of profit if water's free."

"If we do all the work under their radar and release it all at once...."

"I'll figure something out by then," I laughed, getting onto my feet to grab more glass sheets. 'Fourth time's the charm. Yup sounds about right.'

.

. ** .

.

"Hey, wake up. Class starts in ten," Amber said, punctuated with a stick poking my back.

"...The fuck? Why am I sleeping on the floor...?"

"Don't remember?"

"...I just... I just... I remember we were working on Oasis...? Did you shoot me up with something again?"

"Wanted a night in," she shrugged. "So? What are the symptoms?"

"A massive fucking headache, and I guess memory loss?" I answered, pulling out a prototype dart from my lower back.

"Does only one side of your head hurt or...?"

"...I hit my head on the way down, didn't I?"

"Maybe," Amber grinned. "Guess the ratios need to be tweaked again. Knocked you out for about nine hours."

"The memory loss can come in use," I sighed out and scramble to get ready for class, which was easy since I was still in my uniform.