Chapter 32: Valeriy Ayers - Game Floor (Part I)

.

.

. ** .

.

"Line up the sight up with the 25 of the quarter and lightly squeeze the trigger."

Simple enough instructions.

If I could only see the damn 25 on the stupid ass coin. Couldn't even make out the bloody antlers or the fucking caribou. Didn't help that the coin was 609.6 cm away. Or so said Bucky.

All I could make out was a stupid silver circle. And my eyesight's perfect.

'Okay, replace 25 with pupil. Simple. Yeah.... Fuck.'

This particular eyeball was a bigger target, which didn't help all that much. Not when it kept swaying from side to side, never quite returning to the same spot twice.

I followed the best I could. Kept the eyeball lined up with the tip fin thingy, and the tip fin thingy slotted between the two bulkier back fin things. Or something along those lines... right?

'Now to shift it up and a bit to the left... Ah fuck, which way's left?'

"You've wasted five months on this fake kidnapping nonsense."

"...It's only July, Mum, and I spent all of March at events with the clients."

"Don't lie to my face when your facebook says you've been partying. You couldn't even manage the small task of writing the mining proposal."

"...I filed that second week of February...."

"No, you didn't. I didn't see you do it."

'...Fuck. Missed.'

Straight up missed the head. Flew right by the dangling ear.

Didn't help that my left arm was tiring from holding up the dart revolver for so long. It had to be getting heavier by the second.

"There's more of a noticeable arc to the darts. They don't have the power of gunpowder behind it. Tilt the muzzle 1.5 millimetres at 347 degrees."

"Uhhh...?"

The numbers Bucky spewed out flew straight over my head. I had a slight idea of what to do. Sure. But those numbers were too exact, and measurement guessing wasn't a skill I much perfected. I had Eve for those situations, but she couldn't guide my hands.

"Aim 31 millimetres at 347 degrees from the 25. It should hit the target from 609.6 centimetres away according to your eyesight."

"...Um... I can't see the 25 from this far away...?"

"You dragged out recruiting the scientist over two months and then made up this kidnapping for a vacation."

"Mum, Wegner really didn't want to be poached from Jekyll – "

"Don't use such an ugly word! We didn't tell you to poach him!"

"...."

"You purposefully wasted two months on him."

"Damn shit! I'm not trying to hit the bloody body!" I yelled, frustration boiling in my bones.

"You do recall this is 360, correct?"

"I know! This one is shambling closest at the moment!"

The dart flew from the chamber and hit. Finally hit. Took three darts. But it hit. Half of the dead grey skinned head exploded. Brains rained down around it.