Chapter 5: Valeriy Ayers - Soggy Spaghetti (Part III)

.

.

.

The moment the door shut behind him, the shower ran.

"FUCK!!! EVE!! YOU – YOU ASSHOLE!!! IT'S FREEZING!!!!"

Scrambling out of the stream, I curled up in the corner to get away from the cold spray. Everything was just stupidly cold. I didn't need the shock to the system right now.

"How are you holding up, Val? I know how uncomfortable you are around cuts like that one."

"I don't want to talk about that time, Eve. Drop it," I snapped, peeling off the sopping wet clothes and tossing them in the opposite corner. Watching the water run from red to pink, I took a few deep breaths to calm the twisting knot in my gut. "I'll be fine. As always."

Feeling the water turn hot, I pulled myself underneath and let it just sear off all the unpleasantness. All the tension in my muscles. All the unease in my stomach.

"This temperature is honestly bad for your singed arm."

I groaned at the lukewarm water that now made my shower. So gross on my skin. I'd prefer the freezing after over this. But the stinging in my arm did stop. Quickly cleaning up, I crawled about the room, searching for something to wear.

"Hey Eve? What are we having the pasta with?"

"There's a jar of tomato sauce you can heat up in a pan and mix with the angel hair."

"By the way, who drinks 96% vodka?"

"Sparks enjoys mixing it."

Haven't seen that woman for some time. The timing was almost laughable since she was the one who picked me up after the second kidnapping. Wouldn't be surprised if the woman could handle her hard liquor.

"I keep some around for the houses she stays at."

"How is she? It's been long."

"She is doing fine. Still one of my top people."

"She's not the top anymore?"

"Someone popped up as competition."

'Huh.... A new puppet joins the ranks.'

One I haven't heard of yet....

"How are you feeling, Buddy?" I asked when I spotted him mopping up the cola blood mix.

The young man was dripping with water. His clothing had been changed. At least he wasn't down here cleaning the whole time.

As per usual, he shrugged. "You?"

"Peachy." Popping into the pantry, I grabbed a jar of red pasta sauce and returned to cooking. "Could you set the table when you're finished? I'm going to deal with the pasta."

"Sure."

"Thanks."

Silence consumed the two of us. The kitchen got cleaned. The pasta got served. It still stayed for most of the meal.

Eve wasn't too wrong about my cooking skills. As plain and simple this dish looked like, we were munching on soggy angel hair.

The ex-soldier didn't seem to care, finishing rather quickly. I had to wonder what they fed the guy. Hopefully, it was something edible. Unlikely that it'd be something yummy. He was their weapon as he put it. They'd probably use some care to keep him healthy, even if they taught him to cut himself up as punishment.