Chapter 21: Valeriy Ayers - Repeat (Part III)

.

.

.

"No matter how long you run. No matter how far you run. You can't escape me."

But still I tried, doing whatever I could. Even if it wasn't much. I didn't want to give up.

"Did you trip again?" punctuated with an exasperated laugh, a hand clasping around mine and pulling me up right.

'Devon?'

"We're going to be late for the midterm."

'Huh? Midterm?'

My feet followed after his. My hand still held in his. My height a lot closer his.

A glance down and I was back to my body. A glance around and the H.Q. halls weren't there. We were outside under a covered bridge.

This wasn't my university. Either of them.

This wasn't any place I knew.

The architecture a clash of east meets west. The castles were built half into and half atop of two summits, clouds obscuring parts of them. They even poured onto the bridge.

'I wonder if we can pull something off like this in real life. Probably have some sort of oxygen problem.'

I dare not make a move that Devon didn't lead. It's how he worked in my dreams. Peace. He was the peace in the mayhem. So long as I don't make a move on my own.

'...I guess we're dating in this dream.... Been a long while since that popped up,' I thought, the panic of writing a midterm for who knows what sinking into my nerves. 'Why am I still dreaming of school...?'

The temptation of dragging my feet was difficult to contain. But I knew the moment I do, Devon would go missing on me, and the mayhem of my dreams will take over. Probably in the form of a nonsensical exam.

"What do you want to do after the midterm?" he asked over his shoulder, still pulling me along through the crowd of people.

'Try to fly? This place would be so much easier to explore in the air. Hopefully the wind doesn't fuck with me.'

Someone bumped into my arm and I instinctively clutched down on Devon's hand, but it was gone.

My eyes darted from the back of one head to the next, searching. Anxiously. He was easy enough to recognise for me. I could still recognise him in a disguise. All I needed was his posture or the way he moved. But nope. He was nowhere to be seen.

'Great. I have no shits as to where the exam is....'

And so I meandered the halls of this future meets past building, just trying to find my way. Maybe I'd stumble across the exam room.

"Sweetie."

'No....'

The strength in my body just left me. I couldn't use it. My lungs stopped breathing. My knees didn't even work, collapsing from under me.

"I've missed you so much, Sweetie."

'Please no. I can't. I... I....'

All I could do was curl into a tight ball on the ground. Hug my head and hope he couldn't see me. I couldn't even flinch away from the searing pain blooming across my back. I could barely breathe through the choking gasps, trying to get my crying under control. But I couldn't.