Chapter 24: Bucky Barnes - Hot Chocolate (Part I)

.

.

. ** .

.

This place was so silent.

Nothing man made beyond the glass that surrounded me. The glass was thick enough to block any noise from the wind, the waterfall and the animals.

The only noise my ears could pick up were the blueberry skins popping under the pressure of my teeth and the mechanics in the arm humming. Slightly louder than usual since we arrived here.

The dogs using my thighs as pillows didn't so much as snore in their sleep. The A.I. ghost hadn't said a word in the last nine hours. Valeriy... she hasn't left her room either.

Just the mountains and the sea of stars above.

Felt like another world.

So different from the bustling cities.

So different from hunting down a target.

So different from waiting to be picked up.

Without a sound, Zephyr woke up and the stairs lowered to the main floor. He scrambled down them. His nails scratching along each step.

Ixie still dead asleep on my lap.

Then a kitchen appliance below started up. Hums and clicks.

Lights and shadows painted the glass. The orange flames of a fire in the reflection.

57 seconds later, the swoosh of a shelf-door opening. The clattering of Zephyr's claws against the floor tiles. Traveling through the kitchen for 23 seconds.

Carefully, I slipped out from under Ixie's head, crawling my way to the ledge. Careful not to make a sound. Peered over the edge. A clear upside down view of the unlit kitchen below.

She stood there. Zephyr next to her. On the other side of the long counter. Unmoving. Arms crossed. Slowly shrinking in on herself.

A tiny sniffle could be heard over the crackle of burning logs.

An almost familiar pull had me pushing off against the floor and my body fell over the edge. A twist and a flip to keep my landing soft.

But she heard me anyways. Her head whipping around. Watery gray eyes honing in on me far too fast. A quick wipe against her arm to hide the tears. Shoulders straightened and squared off with me. Chin held up feigning poise. Lips parted to form words.

I shook my head. I wasn't going to force her to talk. But something inside me, nudged me towards her, around the long counter.

Zephyr lunged forwards. Ears back. Teeth bared. Growling for me to keep away.

Valeriy reached out, tapping twice on his hind leg.

It was almost instantaneous with how he calmed down. Sitting at her side. Tail wagging leisurely behind him.

She sent me a smile. Forced and broken. Before turning back at the sound of hissing from one of the kitchen appliances.

Chocolate filled the air. A hint of cinnamon and oranges.

I made my way along the curving counter. Made sure my footsteps were loud and clear.

"Would you like a c-cup of...." Her scratchy voice broke with a frustrated huff.

Reaching out, I took hold of her hand. Waiting for her to slap me for being out of line. Waiting for her to yank it away from me.

She didn't. Just a gentle squeeze in response.