Chapter 28: Bucky Barnes - Oasis (Part IV)

.

.

.

"Sorry for the scream –...Bucky? Where'd you go?"

I couldn't help but flinch. Pulling Ixie and Zephyr closer. To be smaller. To fill less space.

"The dead guy?" The Asian woman pointed downwards. Having given up the fight against the now thirteen vines.

"Damn it, Amber. His name is Bucky."

My eyes squeezed shut at the approaching footsteps. One clicking against the tiles.

"Hey Bucky," the young woman called out, a scratchy whisper compared to the yelling. "I'm sorry for my outburst. I'm not going to hurt you, 'kay? Or them."

She sat down on the couch, keeping a comfortable distance from me and the dogs. Didn't corner us against the fireplace. She stayed to the left of me.

I could use that arm to block her. The metal plates could handle most things.

"What do you need to feel safe, Bucky? What can I do?" she asked calmly. A slightly forced smile pulled on her lips

Pull arm. Slam head into fireplace. Target incapacitated.

"You're still mad," I noted.

"I'm not mad at you, nor will I be taking out that anger on you. Or the dogs. 'Kay?"

Her smile didn't promise pain. No orders spilled from her lips. An open, outstretched hand. Not a closed fist. Not wrapped around a blade. Nothing sharp around us. Except for the corners of the fireplace.

'She's not them...' I had to remind myself and let go of the dogs.

Ixie barked once, tail wagging in my face.

Zephyr slid towards the windows after a failed attempt to tackle the young woman. Dodged with only a little scoot to the side.

The young woman only gave him a friendly pat on his shoulders. "Go comfort Bucky, will you?"

Both dogs nuzzled their heads against mine. Neither of them any bit gentle with their movements. It was like being buried by 173 kilograms of soft warm fur.

"Amber, I'll call you back in a few."

"'Kay, 'kay," waved the other woman. Hair still clutched by the vines. Another flower joined the group of twenty vines.

With a click, the screen turned black.

A blanket joined the mix, wrapping around me, and Valeriy's face popped up far closer than I expected. She quickly showed her hands, palms out to show me they were empty.

"Nothing will happen to you, Bucky. You're safe here," she assured with a soft smile.

I didn't realize I had reached out to her hand until delicate fingers tangled with mine. Warm against my skin. Her thumb sliding back and forth along mine.

All of it soothing my nerves.

I tugged on her hand and she went with the movement. Arms coming up to wrap around my head. Fingers carding through my hair. Knuckles digging into the muscles at the base of my skull.

And my muscles relaxed into the hug.

It's safe here.

"You're safe," Valeriy whispered against the top of my head. "No pain. No chairs."

She lifted our hands towards her face.

I expected teeth to sink into my skin again.

"I'm sorry, Bucky."