Twenty three

Layla-

Feeling tiny hands pulling me up out of bed isn't really how I expected to be woken up the past few days.

We were definitely running out of things to eat.my eyes wandering over every inch of the cabinet in front of us.

I sighed rubbing my hands together to warm me up a little.fucking freezing cause my excuse of a mother won't pay the bills.

Looking across the two boxes of cereal left and the oatmeal I grabbed the oatmeal.

They were sitting at the table Danielle playing with a doll and Cameron sitting there sticking a Lego in his mouth.

I scooped out the oatmeal placing it on top of the stove mixing it with the milk before taking a seat at the head of the table.

I placed an appointment for my mom later on today for a psychiatrist. no doubt in my mind I think she's going through a tough time I know that but it's just getting worse and worse and we won't be able to handle it much longer if things don't start turning around.

I mean this is not how a family is supposed to act.

Feeling my phone vibrate in my front pocket.

I glanced down at the screen unlocking it to see a few texts from ashton.

It's not that I didn't want to talk to him it's just when I do I need to have my story together about why I'm not at school in the first place.

Wow I'm a hypocrite.

I make a big deal about wanting him to open up to me when I'm not even returning that.

I stared hard at the phone in my hands before placing it down on its face on the wooden table in front of me.

I waited a few more minutes before taking the old rusty pot off the stove scooping out the cinnamon oatmeal before putting it into bowls setting it in front of the kids.

I watched them dig in shoving spoonfuls in their tiny mouths at a time.

I on the other hand haven't ate much.

I was not in the right mind frame to eat.

I shut my eyes hard rubbing my eyes placing my hair behind my ears.

The lights were all off only allowing the light from the windows to creep in making the whole house eerily quiet and shadowy except from the sounds of them munching hard and smacking the food in their mouth.

I felt a hand on my shoulder as I jumped looking back.

My face was in shock as I looked up at her dark circles around her eyes covered in bags and her hair placed everywhere around her shoulders in big knots.

I stood up letting her sit down and take my spot asi stood beside her.

"You hungry?."

Her head hardly nodded but it nodded.

I quickly made her a bowl placing it in front of her.

I grabbed a stool and sat a little away from her.

I glanced up from the ugly flower print tablecloth looking at her.

This was the first time in a few days she actually got up and out of her room.

She smiled weakly before diggin in taking small bites.

She kept making little looks at the kids in the living room who were watching some cartoon.

She then took a deep breath looking at me placing her spoon in the almost finished bowl.

"You okay?."

It surprised me.she was asking if I was okay when she obviously wasnt.

It kinda made me warm up a little more to the fact she didn't put the attention on her self.

Was I okay?

I don't know I just felt a little empty because seems like everything I actually want I can't have for some reason cause the universe is in deed aganist me.

"Y-yeah I'm fine, what about you.??"

She placed her hand on my thigh patting it a little.

The gesture kinda scaring me she being weirdly call about her recent behaviour.

"I will be."

That little statement made my heart melt.

She was still hurting.

Even after all these years she's made no effort to move on at all.hasnt accepted the fact he's gone.

I smiled weakly at her placing her and the kids bowl in my hands placing them in the sink staring at her out the corner of my eye.

She stood up sliding the chair underneath the table.

Her voice fell soft as she walked up to me giving me a tight hug.

Her heart was beating insanely fast as mine was picking up speed.

Hardly she showed me and the kids her good side.

I hugged her back tight not daring to let go.

"I don't know how you do it lala."

Lala.

I haven't been called that since my dads funeral.my heart melted at the little nickname which I've missed so long.

"Do what momma?."

I felt her tears sliding off my shoulder onto the floor some soaking into the jacket I was wearing.

"Put up with me all these years."

My eyes swelled up a little as I hugged her tighter.

She kept sobbing into my neck really hard her coughs hard and rough.

She then stepped back being a few inches from my face.

Placing both her hands on warm cheeks she looked me in the eyes her tears coming out of her dark eyes.

"I love you and those two kids I do I promise you that I just haven't shown you.ive been being selfish I know that.things are going to get better."

I closed my eyes hard feeling my own now salty stained cheeks and rubbing them.

She then grabbed my head placing a light kiss on my forehead.

A million things were racing through my head why all of the sudden did she have a change of heart.

"I'm gonna take the kids out today and then I'm gonna go to that appointment."

I raised my eyebrows looking skeptically at her.

She sighed walking into the living room out of my eye sight.

I pulled out my phone my fingers tracing over Ashton's name.

'I'm at home, see you tomorrow calm your balls.'

I wiped my eyes one more time before going and standing by the doorway to the living room watching my mom have one kid on each side kissing their heads as they snuggled on the couch.

_________________________________________

Hopefully this kinda made up for the past few horrible chapters I'm sorryyyy not checking I haven't been lately so sorry about that too but I needed to post something.i love youuu