OC - Suspicions

Word Count: 2,117

My hands clenched painfully, feeling aches run through my fingers from typing for hours on end. Codes weren't the easiest things to break, and after getting a feed into the Galra's main control ship, the system was layered with firewalls that somehow seemed to re-scramble themselves every day.

The good news was, I think I got around the one for today.

I took a deep breath through my nose, feeling the warm air ricochet off my mask and hit me back in the face, causing me to wrinkle my nose a little in disgust, it might've been a good idea to brush my teeth once in a while.

I watched, a little bored, as all of my work from previous days began slowly filling the computer screen.

"What are you working on?" Pidge's voice sounded from behind me, making me jump about ten feet in the air because of it.

Well, not ten feet, but you get the idea.

"Well-" I cut myself off, curling my fingers again to try and get some feeling back into them, and to think. Should I tell her what I was up to? It was her lab after all, and I was kinda invading her computer. "It really isn't anything to worry about, it's just- "

Hearing the uncertainty in my voice, Pidge pulled back my chair away from the computer without another word, the wheels squeaking in protest, her glasses reflecting off the light of the computer screen as she leaned in close to examine what was on the screen. "Em, please don't tell me you hacked into the Galra's main feed without telling me about it."

I sighed again and slumped into my chair, defeated. Never try to hide anything from a computer whizz kid, you won't last past a week.

I took a deep breath again, taking my mask off and setting it on the desk carefully. My sensitive skin grew slightly cooler at the rush of air came to my face, showing off layers of scars dug into my face. I never really let anyone see my face, it gave too much of a shock to anyone who saw me, but Pidge didn't seem to mind the occasional times that I would take it off in front of her, desperately in need of some cool air. She wasn't squeamish when I took it off or stared at me like I was some kind of monster, and we were best friends because of it.

"Have you noticed that ever since Shiro got back, he's acting a little, off?" I asked slowly, giving her time to understand what I meant, my voice clearer now that the mask was off.

"Emily, we already talked about this. There's no bugs in Shiro's arm, no tracking devices, no any way to keep track of him, how could he possibly be someone else and the Galra are not able to keep tabs on him? It doesn't make any sense." She said, leaning against a nearby computer console.

"Yeah, but think about this, Pidge. Just give me five minutes, please. After I talk I won't bring it up again."

Pidge crossed her arms with a glare, unconvinced. "I'm gonna need that to be a little more appealing to me."

I glared back, my brain turning to try and avoid what she was implying. "Fine." I huffed. "If you sit here and listen for five. No, three minutes. I'll never touch your tech again." I knew she hated it when she came in the hangar to work on something only to find me tapping away on her laptop like there was no tomorrow. It was the only way for me to keep tabs on what the Galra was doing without pestering someone about it.

The green paladin's brow came up a little at my sentence, her lips upturning just the slightest. "You swear?"

I continued to glare, my gaze softening just a little at her toying with me. "Lance is right, you really are a gremlin."

She shrugged, her edgy demeanor vanishing as she waited for me to scoot back towards the waiting laptop. "I try."

"Sure you do," I smiled rolling myself back to the desk, it's pretty hard to stay mad at her, "now come here, five minutes."