*Sting x Reader*

A/N, this was requested by @ninafairy so please enjoy~

•Fate and Coincidence•

Y/N's POV:

Hmm what to do, what to do...?

It was a very average and a painfully slow day at the guild – one of those days that just seems to drag its feet without the clocks moving forward any – with average weather that was just a little on the overcast side, and an average set of jobs pinned up on the request board.

There's nothing exciting... and I really really don't want to have to do another Vulcan quest...

Given the monotony of the past few hours, and in an attempt to cure your boredom, you'd made the decision to take a job for a couple of days, however the selection of posters that you were seeing didn't meet any of your hopes or even expectations, reducing you to blankly staring in an unstimulated limbo.

"Y/N. Are you busy currently?"

With a flash of red hair your attention was suddenly drawn to Erza as she marched in front of where you stood, her hands on her hips and expression stern.

You regarded the mage with a small smile and fully pulled your mind out of the fluffy daydream state that you had been floating around in for the past few hours. "Huh? No I'm not.. why do you ask?" You questioned, hurriedly trying to figure out if you'd done something to upset her, as with your track record of fight with Natsu, that was a high possibility.

"There's been an emergency call for a mage. It's from Shirotsume, just past Mt. Hakobe. They were attacked by a large dark guild last night, and the battle is still ongoing... I was asked originally but I can't make it, so would you be up to the task?" Erza explained very matter-of-factly, holding out a blue sheet of paper for you to take.

Glancing over the flier, it explained all that you'd just been told: a dark guild were attacking Shirotsume in hopes of securing the riches found there, and with town forces wavering the local council sent out a plea for outside help. Even if you weren't an S-class mage (not that you hadn't tried to get promoted, but Acnologia interrupted your latest attempt), you were still pretty powerful, especially with quartz-make make magic at your disposal; the magic was something you wouldn't trade for anything else ever, as not only could you beat enemies with glittering minerals, but you could also heal your teammates as a subdivision of your powers.

"I'd be more than happy to, but wouldn't it be better to ask someone else? Maybe another S-class, like Laxus, or even Natsu as he's always spoiling for a good fight." You challenged softly, glancing briefly around the room to try and find at least one of the aforementioned mages.

Erza just remained stoic and calm, but did actually soften her expression noticeably as she folded her arms. "I have faith in you that you're more than capable of completing the request. Besides, you looked bored." The red head answered. Although the latter part of her reply was probably the biggest influencer, to hear that Erza saw you as a proficient mage sent a warming clench to your stomach.

"I'll do it then! Thanks Erza." You smiled, catching her eye for a moment before being bid farewell and good luck.

Given the location of the job, the train was your only option for travel, meaning that you'd have to hurry to the station to make to Shirotsume as fast as possible. So, with one last quick goodbye, you rushed from the guild and sped home, before gearing up and heading back out, catching the next available train.