Chapter 48

Hugh knocked on Billfield's door and looked at Joan.

She looked like a case of mad nerves.

"Joan, I say, you need to calm down" Hugh said and kept a hand on her shoulder.

She smiled a nervous smile and nodded, as she felt jitters at his touch.

A really thin butler opened the door.

"Hugh CeevanFord, Earl of Whitsbury" Hugh told.

The butler nodded and let them in.

"I'll call Sir William, kindly please have a seat."

Joan and Hugh sat in the drawing room, on a violet hued sofa.

William appeared within a minute "Hello there. Look who's here!"

Hugh ignored the note of sarcasm in Billfield's voice "we have found out who the culprit is."

William stiffened in a second "th-that was fast. You still had many days. Er.. who is it?"
Hugh stood "a lady who was Joan's maid once."

William burst out laughing.

"Who? Her maid?" he said wiping tears off his eyes "stop jesting. Just admit that you don't know who the culprit is. You-"

"Enough!" Joan stood and gave William the diary "I'll tell you everything."

Joan stood facing William and told him all that had happened.

She told him about George's past, she told him about her visit to Stephanie's home and everything else that mattered.

"And here!" Joan said and opened the entry of the diary which was titled as 'REVENGE' "I'll just read what's written here-

Dear diary,

I could not bear the pain that encroached my heart. So I decided to take some revenge against the Winset family to teach them a lesson for life.

The bloody idiots deserve one. 

How come they steal their son from me?
How?

So I decided to take some revenge from the youngest in the family-

Joan Winset.

The one who I was a maid to.

She seemed like a soft target. And an idiot too. A major one.

To destroy her life, I decided to hit two apples with one arrow.

You know what, the catch of the season is Belle Billfield, who is really popular and gorgeous.

But I loathe her as I think that just like other men, my George must have too got attracted to her beauty. What if they marry? 

No, I could not let this happen at all.

George just can't dump me and live a happy life.

I could not allow this to happen!

So I decided to spread a bad rumor about Belle that she was a fallen woman. In that way, Belle would get destroyed.

And as for Joan, Belle's elder brother would suspect her for spreading the rumor as Joan is thought as the nosiest woman in the entire town who loves to spread baseless rumors. So Belle's brother would try to kill Joan, because a brother's uncontrollable anger is way to dangerous.

I would have directly spread the rumor that Joan's a fallen woman, but in that way, Belle would have escaped freely, and I don't want her to marry George.

I feel like the smartest woman to execute such a beautiful plan!

I've taken my revenge successfully.

"Did you see this?" Joan said "I told you throughout, that I wasn't the one who spread the rumor..."

William was shook.

"But what if you both planned to create this diary to...." William started.

Hugh came forward "If you don't believe us, then call Stephanie and yes, George too."

William nodded, and said "yes. It's time now."