Chapter 30

Joan left Hugh's home, all teary eyed and hurt.

But honestly, deep down she knew that it was her fault, entirely.

But she wasn't going to admit that. 

No lady admitted her fault, so why should she? And after all even if he had spoken the truth, he had hurt her and likened her to a fool.

So here Joan was, sitting on her bed, dabbing at her teary eyes, and eating cookies.

She knew that she was being melodramatic, but she was HURT.

All her life, she was always commented upon. She was called an 'aimless gossiping chit with a brainless head', and Lord Hugh had just gone and crowned all of that by calling her 'silly'.

She was not going to forgive him, no matter what.

At least not so easily.

Lord Hugh's life had always been a turmoil.

At every point in his life he had acted wisely, but at times, he would act angrily due to all the frustration and would mess up things.

Like he had just done with Joan.

He was a huge dunce.

DUNCE.

Hugh waited for an hour, so as to not appear desperate, and then went to Joan's home.

To apologize.

Joan heard the butler's muffled voice. Well, he had the most muffled voice she'd ever heard.

"You have a guest, Lady Joan" the butler said.

Joan looked up from her book. 

"Who is it?" Joan asked.

"Lord Hugh CeevanFord" the butler said.

"Tell him that I'm not available" Joan ordered, a bit loudly so that Hugh could hear her voice.

"Err....he told that you would say that, so he told me to tell you that it's very important" the butler said.

"I'm not available."

The butler nodded and left.

"Err Lord Hugh, she is not available" the butler told Hugh.

Hugh knew that, so he had already devised a plan.

"I'll take my leave then" Hugh said and stood.

The butler started showing Hugh the way out, but Hugh said "please, I can manage on my own, you can go."

"But Lord..." the butler looked unconvinced.

"Please, you can go, thank you" Hugh said.

The butler nodded and left, and when the butler exited the room, Hugh turned back, and dashed up the stairs to Joan's room.

He didn't know what the consequences would be. They would surely be bad.

But he had to risk it, anyhow.

Of course, an unmarried man and an unmarried woman were not allowed to be together,alone in a room.

And if they would be caught, then they would be forced to marry.

Well however, the prospect seemed delicious, but it would bring shame upon both the families if word spread.

But Hugh would risk it.

So he reached up, opened the door, and Joan nearly passed out.