Chapter 44

Joan washed her face and took off her slippers, preparing to go to bed.

She heard a knock at her door.

Joan cursed "who's it?"
 "Me." 

"Who "me"?" Joan asked irritably. Her family members loved to irritate her.

"George."

"Come in brother."

George came in, and closed the door behind him.

He came to Joan and gave her a kiss on her cheek "Sorry to disturb you.I love you sister."

"I presume we share mutual feelings" Joan said and smiled.

George smiled back awkwardly and sat on Joan's bed "I've come here to tell you something."

"That I've assumed already. What is it?" Joan asked.

"Do you remember Stephanie?" George asked.

Joan frowned "yes. My maid and your lover once."

George nodded "Actually these past two weeks, I wasn't really caught up in any work, I lied to parents. I was honestly, um, thinking about Stephanie and how I hurt her."

"I see" Joan said, and nodded slowly.

"All those memories I've had with her....everything just washed simply in front of my eyes. And If I loved her, I shouldn't have hurt her. I should have stood by her throughout, through thick and thin. I am a coward, really, and I feel immensely guilty to have brought her pain. She doesn't deserve to be treated like this, she's a poor woman" George said and ran his hand through his hair.

"This is not your fault George."
"I know that. London society would not have accepted the relationship anyway due to the status difference. And father told me to stay away from her. But still you know..." George muttered.

"So what do you want to do now to cleanse your guilt?" Joan questioned.

"I want to apologize to her."

"Go ahead, but why are you telling this to me?"

"I want you to apologize from my side, Joan."

"What?!" Joan nearly shrieked and jumped to her feet.

George stood too and silenced her "please."

"Why, It's your issue, George, not mine!" Joan said.

"I know that, but see, what face will I show her after I dumped her? I'm so ashamed of myself. I know that I'm acting like an utter nut, but I can't do this. Please help me."

"But this-"

"Joan please, for me, please, I love you, please for me, I beg of you!" George said and gave Joan's hand a squeeze.

Joan could feel the gravity of the situation "Fine. I love you too. I'll do it. Anything for you. Anything to cleanse your guilt and make you feel better."

George gave her a hug "thank you!"
"Welcome."

George took out a piece of paper from his coat pocket "this is her address."

"Oh."

George also took out a small bracelet from his coat pocket "give this to her as a gift. And tell her I'm sincerely sorry. Tell her that she'll find a man far far better than me and also tell her that she'll live the happiest life."

Joan hugged her brother "I will, George, I will."