Chapter 1

Joan Winset slumped in her divan tucking her face in the hollow of her neck, apparently pondering over the oddities in her life. "Cud" she muttered" I'm bored"
She was the daughter of a Baron and had an elder brother George and a really talkative mother.
Joan was always alone. After her best friend Mary had married the Viscount of Bucklebury, Joan had no companion to talk with.Er....no....gossip actually.
Gossip her life-blood.
Joan was one of the best gossiper in London. She was known for it. Sighing ,she bundled off to sleep, pressing her eye lids strongly against her rims, to gather some sleep.
"Joan dear!" her mother, burst in, the rattling door behind dampening the excitement in her voice. "Merciful heavens!" Joan screeched, slapping her hands to her ears just to prevent the pitch of the door's rattle and the soprano voice of her mother from deafening her.
Her mother clamped her mouth shut.
Joan narrowed her eyes, and flicked her tongue as she curved her brows in an arch as an indication to speak further.
"Lady Amanda is holding her party tonight! And needless to say, we are invited!"
Her mother batted her lashes and clasped her hands as she swung from side to side in what Joan thought with a sheepish smile, was an underrated show of bad drama.
"Mama" Joan drawled" every year, she holds a party, every year, we get invited, and it's every year you burst into my room like this, grow out of your childish behaviour."
"And this is coming from a girl who gossips even if a servant asks for more food", her mother said.
Joan bit her lower lip from retorting.
"And...."
" That's enough for today mama."
Her mother sat on her bed and raised an arrogant brow. "Joan it's been an age. You are two and twenty. 22 years of age! Do you understand? You are of marriageable age! We are going to find you a husband today. The season in London has begun!"
Joan frowned. Husband? A man. A man who she has to commit her life to.
Irony.
Joan decided to speak. Speak for her dear life.
"Mama. I will marry. I have no grudges. I swear. But don't you think it's unfair to...to.. marry a man who you can't bring yourself to love?"
"What  do you mean?"
"I shall love first. And then shall I decide to marry."
Her mother flexed her fingers from holding herself back to toss a concern. Joan was right.
Joan stood up and knelt down in front of her mother.
"Joan, I love you, and I want to marry you, hope you become my wife!" 
Her mother narrowed her eyes and gasped. Gasped at the fact that her daughter resembled a retard.
"I want my man to propose like this. Will he? Tell me, will he?!"