Chapter 42

The next day, Hugh shuffled the papers in his hand, after the paper work was done.
Helping Joan had resulted in the usage of two third of his time, and finding time to do the earldom work was almost impossible.
And the remaining one third was spent in drinking whiskey. God, he really needed to slow down on the whiskey part.
He'd drink glasses after glasses to ease the pain that wrenched his heart, and cleanse the desire he felt towards the love for Joan.
It wasn't his fault-anyone would have felt the same way. Or specifically, any MAN.
Hugh scrunched his nose. Nothing really was going his way. He felt somewhat depressed, or felt the first stirrings of it.
Maybe combating Billfield had created a major issue out of nothing.
But no, he thought, Joan's safety wasn't nothing obviously.
Then Hugh got a call from the butler who told him that Joan was waiting for him in the drawing room.
Hugh stood to leave immediately.
"Joan?"
Joan stood "Lady Linda isn't the culprit."
"Sorry?" Hugh was rather dumbfounded.
Joan told him everything about her conversation with Ana.
They both sat, as Hugh ordered for tea.
"Ana's right actually. Illegitimate children are meant to be careful. But shouldn't we still investigate about Lady Linda's background?" Hugh questioned.
Joan firmly shook her head "it would result in our wastage of time."
"Yes."
Tea arrived till then, and they both sat in solid quietude, staring at each other over the rims of their tea cups, looking away awkwardly.
"Hugh?" Joan said "what if we are unable to find proof?"
Hugh looked at her "please do not make assumptions based on your pessimism."
Joan clenched her teeth "I'm merely being practical, unlike you."
Hugh clenched his teeth "then we have to do something major to save your reputation from getting ruined."
Joan gulped "what?"
Hugh suddenly turned into stone and when his voice was audible, it came out in short, ragged spasms "I'd marry you. Because I was the one who accepted Billfield's challenge. And if I'm unable to complete it, I'd rather-"
It struck Joan's heart "what? Am I such a burden to you?"
Hugh's eyes widened "No I-"
Joan rose abruptly "ENOUGH! IF I'M SUCH A BURDEN, WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO HELP ME? I'M A BURDEN, GOD! LEAVE ME ALONE, HUGH."
"Joan I-"
Joan left, but looked back for the last time at him with bloodshot eyes "you've hurt me deeply, Lord Hugh, you've hurt me deeply."
After she left, Hugh simply went to his study, pulled out a bottle of whiskey and a glass, and sat drinking like a shameless.