Chapter 12

Hugh's heart staggered. Probably skipped a beat. She just called him a friend.
"Oh of course" Hugh said "you can...sure.."
Joan smiled, "are we good?"
"Yes."
"Fine, let's start. Actuall-"
"Hold on" Hugh interrupted "not here."
Joan raised her brows and squinted a bit.
Hugh exhaled then leaned in closer and whispered "I do not trust my servants not to eavesdrop."
"Uh oh" Joan muttered "then where sh-"
Hugh bit his lower lip "let's go for a walk, tell me everything during the walk."
Joan pondered that for a moment, then hesitated and said "I'm ready."
Hugh stood, held out his arm and asked "shall we?"

As they came out, Joan sighed.
"Such a beautiful day!" She said.
"And here I used to believe ladies weren't dramatic," Hugh said and grinned.
Joan rolled her eyes "and here I thought you were a kind man."
"One must admire your wit" Hugh said and smirked "you possess that retorting ability..."
Joan laughed, "Lord Ceevanford, let me tell you, I am most diabolical."
"Was that a warning?" Hugh asked.
"Why, are you concerned?" Joan grinned.
"I don't want it to meddle in our friendship" Hugh answered.
Joan laughed "not so fast Lord Ceevanford."
"Obviously, when you've got a beautiful woman by your side."
Joan blushed. The rosemadder hue wuthering in her cheeks.
"Shall we talk about William?" Hugh asked suddenly to save her from the embarrassment.
Joan looked at him sharply "Yes."
"Lord Ceevanford do you remember the time when William Billfield was a happy, jubilant man? The one who threw flamboyant parties, the one who was the charming rake, the one who had all the ladies at his charm's mercy?"
Hugh nodded.
Joan spoke crisply then, "the one everyone loved?"
Hugh nodded, he did remember. William was the man, who was friendly, altruistic and every woman's favourite. Every mamma's favourite. The men of the aristocracy, would invite him to clubs, call him for a drink, all because he would gel well with everyone, and would even dance a jig when asked too. All in all he was splendid. Yes. He was.
Joan and Hugh entered the Ambient Garden and sat on a nearby bench.
Joan continued "then suddenly on day, he turned into something else entirely, something sad. Something bad and-  something dangerous...."
Joan sucked in her breath and shuddered "do you remember?"
Hugh nodded with a muttered "Yes I do."
"And do you know why so?" Joan asked, her eyes awash with a million emotions.
Hugh shook his head "no, not exactly.."
"Because his younger sister, Belle, her reputation was ruined. A rumour suddenly spread that she was a fallen woman, the one who stayed in clubs, who roamed with men, she-sh-s, she was ruined. Completely....." Joan said staring into his eyes.
Hugh couldn't believe his ears "how?"
"It just happened" Joan said.
Hugh cleared his throat, then asked the one question that staggered Joan and rendered her sad "what does this all have to do with you?"
"Lord Hugh have you heard of my reputation? I'm thought of a gossiping girl. The one who spreads gossips like a totally aimless chit.....and I-I- I'm thought as indiscreet...." Joan said.
Hugh narrowed his eyes dubiously  " Is it?"
She nodded and then she got angry "don't you know?"
Hugh shook his head.
Joan sighed.
Then Hugh asked again, impatiently, rather angrily "but what does this all have to do with you?"
Joan looked at him terrifyingly "because William thinks I'm the one who destroyed his sister's reputation."