Chapter 38

Hugh knocked at the door, tucking the bouquet of roses in  his arm.

The butler opened the door.

"Lady Rose?" Hugh asked.

The butler, a fat old grumpy man nodded "and you are?"

"Hugh CeevanFord, Earl of Whitsbury."

The butler nodded again and led Hugh in the drawing room.

"I'll just call Lady Rose, Lord CeevanFord please have a seat."

Hugh nodded and took a seat across the sofa on a divan.

Hugh sighed, yes, his life had changed. He was visiting Lady Rose.....really?

He'd hated that lady with all of his heart, all his life.

And here he was, with fresh blooms of scented roses in his arms, apologizing to a stupid female for his behavior last night, when she truly deserved those harsh words. But he smiled, because he was doing this for Joan.

He hadn't come to apologize, because it wasn't his mistake anyway. Lady Rose was the one who had spoken those harsh words. But he had come nonetheless, to yield information about the fact whether she was the culprit behind Belle's baseless rumor.

Because if there was anyone who was a true rival to Joan, it was Lady Rose.

"You must have surely come to apologize Lord Hugh, right?"

Hugh looked up. Lady Rose, took a seat on the sofa across him, her red dress trailing behind her.

"Yes. Lady Rose, I apologize for my impertinent behavior last night, I presume I was drunk."

"Oh no Lord Hugh, you presumed something bad would happen to you if you didn't apologize."

Hugh laughed internally. Who in his right senses would fear this goddamn woman?

"Nevertheless" Hugh stood and handed the roses to Lady Rose.

"Smart man. You offered me roses, in due respect to my name right? To woo me?"

Hugh's mouth curved at the corners. Lady Rose was smarter than he'd thought.

"Lady Rose, I contemplated a lot of what you told me last night.....talks regarding Lady Joan. Even I think now that she's not right for me at all. She talks like some brainless chit...." Hugh could feel the words leave heavily from his mouth. He hated lying to such an extent about Joan. But he had to do this....

For Joan.