Chapter 25

The first name was of Sophie's.
And Joan shrieked again.
"Why are you shouting?" Kate asked, her eyebrows arched, and her face bearing a quizzical expression.
"Sophie is my cousin!" Joan said "dear heavens."
"Oh I'm -I'm -I'm so sorry" Kate stammered.
"It's fine" Joan said "it's not your fault, sweetling."
Something in Joan's voice, something utterly soothing, Hugh thought, was what he pined for.
"But why have you written her name?" Joan asked, biting her lower lip.
"She is considered a nosy debutante" Kate said "she loves to gossip."
"Is it?" Joan asked. Joan knew that Sophie gossiped, but didn't know that, she gossiped with such gravity, that she topped the list.
"Why? Don't you know?" Kate asked, widening her eyes in disbelief.
"No" Joan said and shook her head.
"Surprising" Kate said and shrugged.
"Lady Joan, I'm not really contradicting your faith in your cousin...but as it happens....she may have...." Hugh said, and then topped it all with a shrug.
"She can't! No she really can't!" Joan said, trying to clear her brain of all the fuss "I've know her all my life. She has always helped me. Has always aided in my umpteen endeavours. She will never even bring the thought to her mind."
"But..." Hugh murmured.
"Lord Hugh please" Joan said, and her eyes flashed with such affliction, that Hugh could wager that that was anything but love. She could take no harsh words against her cousin. No she couldn't. She loved her with the similar intensity, Hugh reserved for Kate.
"Fine" Hugh let out.
Joan could feel her heart twisting into knots, and she was gripped by a sudden fear. Fear of the truth. What if Sophie.....
No. Joan shook her head. Sophie would never do this.
"Read out the other names please." Joan said.
"As you wish" Kate said and then read out the other names "Lady Rose, Lady Linda and Lady Christine."
Joan narrowed her eyes. The names were proficient. Joan was acquainted with all three, and all three possessed some kind of loathing for her. They were exceedingly snobbish and bitter, not only with her, but with everyone.
Joan hated them.
"Thank you Kate. The listing is excellent. You've helped me a lot!" Joan remarked.
Kate smiled as Hugh declared "I'm happy that we were of help."
"Great help!" Joan said and smiled "we shall have to start this all from tomorrow, because I really need to get back home."
Joan stood and then Hugh and Kate did too.
"Shall I escort you to the living room?" Hugh asked and took Joan's arm.
Kate grinned and decided to be of help. She pushed Hugh over Joan, which made them stumble, and close up upon each other for the briefest second.
Joan's heart soared and Hugh's did too.
"What are you doing?" Hugh's scolded. But internally, he was thankful.
"Being of help er- I stumbled. Sorry" Kate said.
Joan smiled a bit, as Kate winked at her and left.