Chapter 15

The next day dawned too beautifully. Streaks of fire lighted the sky, and then the sky was aglow with a fervour that demanded an explanation. Joan yawned and smiled as she woke up slowly, lazily, like a kitten, nurtured with it's mother's warmth.
She was going to meet Lord Hugh today. Hugh. The name sounded so delightful in her mouth. Hugh. Hugh.
Joan got ready, wearing her best dress and perfume, brushing her hair, just a touch too carefully. And desperately. She couldn't wait.
Joan left her home, and had Ana accompany her, since genteel ladies weren't allowed alone.
"Lord Ceevanford? Right?" Ana asked breaking into her thoughts.
Joan blinked "ye-yes."
"Do you umm?-" Ana blushed then said "no I shouldn't asked. I'm in no position to question you. I'm a maid."
Joan's eyes turned brittle "Ana! Good Lord! How can you even!? You know you are one of my best friends. Do not dare care what others think. For God's sake."
Ana blushed and suddenly her eyes turned teary "you are so kind- I can't even explain."
"Don't" Joan warned with a smile.
"So can I ask?" Ana said softly.
"Sure" Joan answered.
"Do you like him?" Ana asked, then tried to control her mouth from twisting.
"It's just been a mere day" Joan answered then looked away because she was tempted to add- I love him.
Joan trusted Ana, but some things were just not meant to share with anyone.
Ana nodded and clamped her mouth shut into a firm line.
They reached the tea shop. Ana smiled then said "I'll wait outside."
Joan smiled and went inside, searching for Lord Hugh, rather impatiently.
And there the man was, smiling at her from afar, like a cat with cream.
Joan walked to him, looked around and took her seat.
"Pleasant day! Nice to meet you" Joan said and smirked.
"And you" Hugh said with a smile.
"Well for how long have you been waiting?" Joan asked.
"Been a while" Hugh answered.
"Oh."
"Lady Joan...er..."
"Yes Lord Hugh?"
"I want to er....talk to you....about something important..."
"Oh.."
"So, may I?"