Chapter 35

"Your bracelet mother.." Hugh said and handed over the shimmering object to his mother.

"Where were you? I was searching for you!" His mother asked.

"Can we talk later? I need to go" Hugh said and left.

He came out of the ballroom, and smiled. He felt really good to have someone to talk to and have someone who would colour his most paradoxical impulses. Never in his life had he felt that level of warmth anytime with anyone for that matter. He felt happiness bubble right through him, and he walked toward the garden, expecting to see Joan's beautiful form standing right there, blessing him with her beauteous smile.

Except, she wasn't there.

Hugh heaved a sigh, and started searching for her everywhere.

Behind the ballroom, at the front, everywhere, calling out her name.

He presumed, that she must have gone inside in search of him, but Hugh couldn't fathom that why she must have done so, when he'd clearly told her to stay outside and wait for him.

But still, he went inside and checked the entire ballroom, but she wasn't there.

He presumed for the second time that she must've decided to take a walk in the garden

So that was where he searched for her-in the garden.

But she wasn't there.

Panic started to rise in Hugh's chest, and he felt gripped by incomprehensible concern.

Suddenly he heard a low shrill of a woman's voice from where he was standing-at the back of the ballroom, near a small door.

He realized that this was from where the servants entered the mansion.

He heard the shrill again and was convinced that the voice belonged to Joan.

He fully opened the ajar door and entered. He started climbing the staircase inside.

The shrills grew sharper. They were low and fraught with panic.

Hugh gulped and reached the first floor. There were three rooms.

He checked each and every room, but to no avail.

He went to the second floor and checked the first room.

No one was there.

The shrill was clear and sharp, as Hugh heard it once again.

He checked the second room. No one.

However, the third room's door was slightly ajar and dimly lighted like the rest.

He opened the door...