Chapter 40

Joan looked at her window and sighed.

She felt a weird urge to rest her forehead against the window, but didn't do so, because her room was on the first floor, and her distressed form would scare off the people on the street.

She thought about the last night's scene for the hundredth time. The scene made her shiver and quiver and she could feel the anxiety hanging over her head like a sword.

Joan let out a nervous laugh, remembering how Sophie had reacted a few hours ago when Joan had told her everything about William and Hugh and etcetera....

Sophie's good and chirpy mood was wiped off her face, and she'd left, her profile looking somewhat seized due to the tension- or had Joan just imagined that?

Joan shrugged and sighed-for what she thought was the millionth time.

"Lady Joan?"
Joan looked up.

The butler.

"Yes?" Joan asked.

"You have a guest. Lord Hugh CeevanFord."

Joan frowned. Hugh?

"Tell him I'll be in a minute.." Joan said and rose from her divan.

The butler nodded and left.

Joan left, and saw Hugh waiting in the drawing room.

"Hugh?" Joan said and entered the room.

Hugh stood and said "I've come here to tell you about something important."

"Would you like some tea first?" Joan asked, motioning him to sit.

They both sat across each other.

"No. I just..." Hugh muttered.

"What happened? You do look distressed" Joan said.

"I had just gone to meet Lady Rose and..." Hugh said and raked his hand through his hair.

"Why?" Joan asked, confused.

Hugh told her everything, even the fake insults regarding her and everything.

"You know what, I can't thank you enough. For me you went to meet someone who you loathe. For me you are pushing aside your work. For me, you are wasting your precious time......" Joan said and smiled.

Hugh smiled back "we are a team. Aren't we?"

Joan smiled and nodded.

"Fine...So Lady Rose is cancelled out from the list. Who's left?" Hugh asked.

Joan frowned "Lady Linda and Lady Christine."

"Oh sure, we will investigate.."

"Hugh what if....what if.....the culprit turns out to be someone else? I'm really scared.....You know right....." Joan said.

"We still have fourteen days right? We have time, you needn't worry, really."
"Look. Lady Christine is not in London right now. She will come back after twelve days."

"Joan, in the meantime we will investigate about Lady Linda and others. See, the person who is doing this all knows that you would be the prime suspect. So practically, that person must not have had a detailed planning. It's feasible to track that person down."

Hugh's words gave Joan some peace and assurance, and she inwardly felt his presence and love capturing her heart.