Chapter 2

Joan hated marriage talks. She felt the talk with her mother ring deep in her head, and for the life of her, she wanted to swoon, she wanted to throw up, her head was giddy already.

She gulped her enervation, and donned her coat and bonnet and decided to go for a walk to let the fresh air caress the recesses of her heart and spread some composure through her wuthering conscience.

She called her maid, Ana too for the walk, since two were better than one.

"Isn't it a fine day Ana?"

"Yes dear lady, it amazingly is."

Joan smiled. Ana had been Joan 's maid for three years now, and they both had developed a kind of companionship, which surely, the people of the ton would have called indiscreet, but Joan never cared. Without a hint of uneasiness, she would share her feelings with Ana who was nine years her elder.

"Mama said, tonight at the party, she is going to find me a husband, the season has started", Joan said grimacing and heaving a long, weary sigh.

Ana looked up at Joan, and asked "you do want to marry. Don't you?"

Joan actually laughed. "God no! I want to fall in love first, just to taste what it is. Marriage will ensue, or let it be damned."

Ana blinked in surprise at Joan's fast use of the lord's name and the swearing.

"Did you ever fall in love?"Ana asked.

Joan clutched her reticule, until her fingers hardened and the knuckles turned white. "No" Joan said.

Ana leaned in to whisper "be careful."

"Of what Ana?"

"With whom you fall in love."

"Ana, what do you mean?"

Ana's eyes softened to unspoken emotions, and tear crystals condensed upon her rims, until her breath was pushed to the fore and then she said those words that made Joan suck in her breath -"you are a beautiful woman. Prettier than many young women I know. You have an air of charisma, and your beauty defines you. Don't let a man fool you, how handsome may he be."

"Existential crises notwithstanding, do you think I'll be fooled?" Joan asked.

"Charm's all you need. And love get's vanquished."