Chapter 22

Joan's heart dropped to all fours, as her mind pounded, and her conscience wuthered, and she swore she could feel her pulse tearing right across the sky, clasping with the thunder, as the bolt of lightning threatened to knock the tiniest of her senses alive.
God, it felt stronger than the aforementioned.
Was this what love did to a person?
And then just as she tried to muster her senses, with all ounce of her might, her heart soared.
Soared and ran away.
Away to meet the paradise.
And away to kiss the world alive.
"Kate I-" Joan blushed, then her mouth tugged upward at the corners, as she rubbed her hands and cleared her throat.
"Yes?" Kate was smirking, as she tried to gauge the measure of Joan's sweet distress.
"How do you know?" Joan asked, reeling in the beauty of her love.
"Hugh's never fallen in love" Kate said "as much as I know. No lady could ever touch his heart. I know this very well, I'm his sister after all. Yesterday, when he was looking at you from afar, his eyes bore happiness. Happiness and love, altogether. He was smiling, and looking at you in a way anyone would've said was love. I know, I really do."
"Thank you" Joan said and bit her lower lip, to refrain from blushing any further.
"And now I've decided to aid in the endeavour" Kate said with a grin.
"I beg your pardon?" Joan asked squaring her eyes.
"I shall make sure you both get married" Kate said.
"Kate that isn't necessary. That's awkward-"
"No one can stop me" Kate announced.
"Kate I beg of you-"
Joan was interrupted by her own train of thoughts, as she contemplated and thought of the inevitable embarrassment, she would undergo. Then she involved some arithmetic, and calculated the possible sum which would get subtracted-
"Oh you needn't, I'll surely help you!" Kat said and chortled aloud. Joan's mother would have declared that unladylike.
"As you see fit" Joan said, surrendering herself to Kate's determined state, and giving upon all pretence to needle her further.
"That's like a good genteel lady now."
Then it struck her. And Joan decided to tell Kate. It was important for her to know the truth...
"Kate, may I tell you something?"