CHAPTER FIVE - THE BURIED TRUTH (Part 2)

(Part Two)

<CLICK ON THE YOUTUBE VIDEO AT THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THIS PAGE WHILST READING THIS CHAPTER TO ENHANCE THE EXPERIENCE>

Bridget was cleaning away Lou’s toys as she watched morning television, constantly shouting up to Lou to hurry up for his breakfast.

Obviously house proud, she shouted at her husband when he came rushing in without taking off his boots until he gave her the summary of why he was in a rush, ‘He’s outside now. I think we should let him in and just hear what he has to say but don’t let him out of your sight! I still don’t trust him!’ he whispered as he looked towards the window, making me crouch down out of sight.

After a few seconds of whispering, the front door opened, ‘Come on in.’ he whispered as I did as he asked and welcomed the warmth of this cosy home.

He ushered me into the lounge, where I was immediately confronted by a pale faced, shocked woman.

The stress of losing her daughter was written across her face as the worn expression struggled to create a smile, ‘Caleb?’ Bridget gasped as she ran at me and gave me a tight hug.

I felt like a fraud hugging her back, knowing that I was the cause of her this pain but I could not reveal the truth.

I needed my son and I needed to leave this house alive.

She guided me to the sofa and sat next to me holding my hand, eager to know more.However Hogan had a different approach, ‘Where have you been? Where is Isla? What’s this about a witch and wizard?’ he asked, getting straight to the point, uninterested in the pleasantries his wife was bestowing upon me, ‘Honey, we have plenty of time for all that. First of all let’s get you cleaned up and fed so you can meet someone special and tell us when Isla will be joining us.’ she gushed as she whispered to Hogan to take Lou to the neighbours house for a while, so we could come up with a strategy to reintroduce me to him.

Reluctantly, he agreed, looking at me with a final suspicious glare before closing the lounge door to avoid Lou’s curiosity kicking in.

As soon as the front door closed, Bridget pulled me off the sofa, ‘Okay time to get you cleaned up. Come on.’ she stated as she grabbed my hand and guided me upstairs.

My tired feet bounced on the thick cream carpet as I admired the pictures on the wall which documented Lou’s life so far.

We reached the landing and she showed me around quickly, ‘Here is the bathroom. You can use some of Hogan’s products and here is the spare room. I will leave some of Hogan’s old clothes in there for you. I’ll be in the kitchen so when you’re finished just come down and they’ll be a hearty breakfast waiting for you.’ she commanded as she handed me a fluffy cream towel and returned downstairs.

Maintaining the clean, cream, minimalistic theme, the bathroom had white candles adorning the ledge of the frosted windows, luxurious hand-washes and matching hand creams which provided the homely, subtle feminine touches that the rest of the house also displayed., ‘He must have had a pay rise.’ I pondered as I tried all of the lotions and potions that were precisely placed on the contemporary glass shelf above the sink.

After the rough skin on my hands had been shocked into accepting the moisture from one of the many hand creams I experimented with, I realised that time was ticking so I jumped into the walk-in shower.

The hot water eased my exhausted muscles and shook the stress out of my exhausted aching bones.

I could have stayed in there for hours but the smell of bacon and eggs greeted my nostrils so I flew out of the shower and ran to get dressed.

I dashed into the spare room and saw what Bridget had left for me to use.

The clothes were slightly too small for me but they were clean and free so I wasn’t going to complain.

A thick black fleece sweatshirt, blue jeans, a thick black waterproof jacket and new pair of black walking boots, which were one size too big but the two pairs of thick socks helped to fill them out, were all I needed to help me with the first stage of getting back to my normal self before I could face the witch and wizard and get them back for what they did to me.

Fully dressed and clean, I walked into the kitchen and saw the treat that was waiting for me on the round oak table, ‘There’s more in the pot if you finish all that.’ Bridget said proudly as I looked at the large plate of bacon, eggs, sausages, beans, black pudding and French toast with delight, ‘Thanks Bridge. I’m really grateful for all this.’ I replied as I wasted no time in tucking into the substantial breakfast feast.

As I was enjoying the warmth from the freshly used oven, the delicious breakfast and Bridget’s gushing conversations about Lou’s escapades growing up, the front door opened. We both looked back, as Hogan entered, ‘Lou’s going to stay there until midday, so I suggest you start talking now.’ he growled as I put down my fork, knowing that I wouldn’t be enjoying the hearty meal for long.

Bridget stepped back and busied herself with the dishes whilst Hogan sat down in front of me, ready for a conflict.

She distracted his attention slightly by putting an equally large plate in front of him but he did not break eye contact with me as he ate with gusto.

You could cut the tension in the room with a knife and even Bridget’s small talk couldn’t dispel it, ‘So where is our daughter?’ he asked, putting down his knife and fork to show that his focus was fully on me.

I shifted in my seat as the room fell silent and all eyes were firmly fixed on me, ‘They killed her.’ I mumbled as Hogan stood up from his chair, making Bridget run over to hold him back from attacking me, ‘Who killed her?’ he roared as tears began to fall from Bridget’s eyes.

I pushed my chair away to put the distance between us as I continued my series of lies, ‘We were coming back from dinner and decided to take a short cut through the woods. We turned a corner and saw a witch and wizard trying to hide something in the bushes. We tried to get away unnoticed but they heard us. When we saw what they were trying to hide they attacked us. I morphed just in time but they caught Isla with a bolt of lightning and I couldn’t fend them off. It was only when they heard someone else coming from the distance that they fled. I tried to get help but it was too late.’

Tears formed in my eyes as I glanced over to the sideboard and saw Isla’s beautiful picture looking back at me.

No one spoke after my revelation.

Did you enjoy this chapter? If so, please show your support for this author by VOTING for this story or leave a COMMENT to connect with me! Thanks everyone! :)

***If you cannot wait for me to update this story EVERY FRIDAY, the full book is available to purchase on Amazon, Smashwords, B&N, Kobo and iBooks***