CHAPTER TWO - THE WALLS HAVE EYES (Part 2)

<CLICK ON THE YOUTUBE VIDEO AT THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THIS PAGE WHILST READING THIS CHAPTER TO ENHANCE THE EXPERIENCE>

CHAPTER TWO - THE WALLS HAVE EYES

(Part Two)

Nightmares of my terrifying experiences in the games tainted the romantic evening as Eva constantly shook me out of my traumatic dreams, ‘You’re okay now. You’re safe at home with me and Ki.’ she reassured as she wiped the sweat from my clammy, trembling brow.

I grabbed onto her tightly as I looked around the room in a terrified daze, unsure whether or not to believe my vision.

I held onto her until the sun crept through and washed energy over our weary faces, ‘It’s not going to be as easy as I thought,’ I muttered as she looked up and kissed me on the cheek, ‘I know, but we’ll be with you every step of the way.’ she replied as Ki came racing in, trying hard to steady the silver tray she was holding, ‘Morning’ she yelled as she presented us with two bowls of blood with matching spoons in each one.

Laughing at her inability to control her excitement, she jumped onto the bed and gave me a big hug, ‘I’m so glad your back’ she gushed as I held both of my girls in my arms and enjoyed the liquid breakfast before packing up our belongings and planning our next destination.

Deciding what to leave behind was easy as Eva never accumulated a huge amount of belongings when she fled with Ki, so six large bags and a few bottles of blood were all we needed to start our new life.

As I was packing the last of our items into the old Rover, a rustling greeted me from behind the trees.

Fear and determination ripped through my stiff body as I dropped everything and got ready for the attack.

The sun highlighted the deadly purpose in my red shimmering eyes as I looked around for the trespasser, ‘Who’s there?’ I shouted as the rustling gained intensity.

Eva and Ki came out but stepped back inside the doorway when I held up my hand to stop them coming out, ‘Shut the door and lock it now.’ I whispered to them as they did as I asked and looked on from the window.

The rustling circled me, taunting my fragile nature, ‘You’re playing a deadly game’ I yelled as the noise got closer.

I grabbed an iron bar from the boot of the car and jumped in front of it, ready to strike the invisible trespasser, ‘Put your weapon down, I’m not here to hurt you.’ a familiar voice laughed as the bushes parted and Cathal glided out with two henchmen behind him.

Dressed as smartly as usual, he told his two henchmen to step back as he walked cautiously towards me, slightly unsure of my response, ‘Come to see Eva?’ I snarled as he looked over at the window and smiled, ‘So, she’s told you about our sensual meetings has she?’ he mocked as she ran to the door, ‘Shut the door, Eva’ I shouted.

Cathal waved to her but she didn’t respond, ‘I guess she doesn’t want to embarrass you but I’m not here for Eva…I’m here to give you this.’ he said as he handed me a black envelope, ‘Another invitation to one of your parties?’ I mocked as his smile vanished and he stared at me with distain.

He ran his hands through his flawlessly styled hair and composed himself before concluding, ‘You’d be lucky. It’s so funny that you dislike being around your own kind so much. Do you really think you’re different to any of us? You’re a killer and the sooner you get used to it, the better.’

I looked down at the plain black envelope to see smoke coming from within it.

Dropping it to the ground, I was distracted by the return of the rustling in the bushes as I looked around and realised I was alone again.

Cathal and his bodyguards had disappeared, leaving me with this mysterious message next to the smoking envelope.

I picked up the piece of paper as Eva ran out and joined my side. It read, ‘A favour for a favour’. The sun accentuated the blood printed words on the rough paper, ‘What does that mean?’ Eva asked, looking confused.

I shrugged my shoulders and crumpled up the cryptic note, paying more attention to the smouldering envelope as I slowly opened the flap and held it out in front of us.

A ball of red smoke escaped the seal, leaving us unsure whether we wanted to venture further, ‘Do it.’ Eva pushed as I pulled out the A4 piece of red leather and read the burnt in message on this bloody, thin, rubbery material,

WARRANT OF ARREST

After considerable discussion, the council have decided that your punishment for escaping the Orcus games will be as followed:

You have one week from receiving this message to make a sacrifice.

This sacrifice needs to be either your wife or daughter.

Should you refuse to do this, then we will make the decision for you, with an additional punishment.

The Elders

I dropped the letter in disgust, ‘What did it say?’ Eva whispered as Ki joined us.

I couldn’t answer.

Instead I stood there, shaking, looking at my beautiful wife and adorning daughter, knowing I could never make that decision.

After moments of thinking about my life without either one of them, I vowed to ignore the message and continue with our escape plan, ‘It’s nothing but we need to go now.’ I lied as we threw our bags into the car and sped away.

Eva and Ki gave different suggestions of where we could go and looked on the bright side of each destination as I rejected each of them as I needed somewhere more hidden to avoid being found and having to make this life changing decision, ‘We’ll go to a hotel for the night then, I need to find the others from the games to see if they can help.’ I announced as Eva looked at me with confusion, ‘Help with what?’ she asked as I knew I had no choice but to tell her the full extent of our problems.

I handed her the note and tried to distract Ki so she couldn’t see the deadly ultimatum.

She read it over and over, hoping that her eyes were deceiving her before dropping it to the floor, ‘Is it real?’ she asked with blood flowing from her eyes, ‘Mum, what’s wrong?’ Ki asked worried about her mother’s new distraught nature.

Eva tried to compose herself but the words were racing around her mind as she just nodded and stroke Ki’s flowing hair.

Did you enjoy this chapter? If so, please show your support for this author by VOTING for this story or leave a COMMENT to connect with me! Thanks everyone! :)

***If you cannot wait for me to update this story EVERY FRIDAY, the full book is available to purchase on Amazon, Smashwords, B&N, Kobo and iBooks***